Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: I never slowplay aces

Seems like a good spot to let him bet off his stack with KK or QQ on a rag flop. I agree though that about $90 to $100 more preflop makes it easy to push almost any flop. Also that money will already be in the pot if you flop a scare card Ace. $100 more is what I would chunk out there and if he folds then I say "Better to win a small pot than lose a big pot". If he calls, push any reasonable flop. I don't think he can call any more than $90 or $100 more preflop without a pair.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:53 PM

Yes this is a good hand to slowplay aces. You are HU and you have position. He has committed 25% of his stack pf and is probably going to lead out on the flop, maybe push so I smooth call here 80% and push 20% depending on how good BB is. Raising to 90-100 or whatever is a mistake IMO.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:27 AM

This is what you do. Works for me.

Pause for a moment about 10 seconds then call. Like you are worried about what he has. I kid you not, this works. I stacked someone a few days ago with this. Then play the flop like you normally would. Push or whatever.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:28 AM

Yup slowplay, if it was deeper money raise, but if you call he only has 1.5 * pot left and he has the 'initiative' meaning he will be likely to bet when he missess as well as when he calls, if it flops low & ragged and he pots it on a steal and you raise him all in he will be getting 7-1 to call so if he has a good ace he may consider himself commited to drawing to it, if he checks and you bet the pot he has to consider the possibility you have nothing and may call you down.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:50 AM

In my opinion, either calling here (willing obviously to get all-in no matter what falls) or pushing is correct.

Of course, if you call and a K falls, you're going to want to puke.

I'd lean toward pushing most of the time, but you should mix it up.

Even if he folds, you're taking down a very nice pot with no risk.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:58 AM

Yeah this is a pretty damned good spot to do it.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:34 AM

Wanted to clear up my earlier post. "flopblem" was supposed to be problem. And I meant make it $90-$100 so you won't have much problem with him putting his stack in on a ragged/low flop with his Kings.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:59 AM

Isn't calling like basically giving him 3 cards to beat you?

With this much action preflop, even your push should get called enough at this level.

If you just call he is either going to see the flop, miss it completely, and now has an easier time folding to your push becuase he has even less chances to improve. Or he will hit a set (most likely), check to you and wait for you to give him your money. There are so many scare cards on the flop - any king or queen, or 2 to any flush. The worst part is if it's a king and he has AK, what are you going to do now? You will be so fearful of trip kings youll be crushed.

I like your push preflop, weaker players wont get away from this, and youll be in it for their all money a huge favorite, you can't ask for more. If you let him see the flop he has either way less, or way more reason to continue if he is a good player. The only way you're trapping a good player here is if he has AK and flop comes an Ace. That's so unlikely it's not worth considering.

I could be wrong, but I don't agree with the posts so far.