Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on seeking your own level

This is just me so take it for what you will...

I play WAY within my bankroll. I view stt as recreation. My friends needle me about moving up but why? Over the past two years I've cashout for a nice vacation with my wife...Vail is awsome. Along with many weekend golf trips.

I play the 11's. I know, I know that I may be very stupid or nieve about the skill required for higher buy-ins but I'm very comfortable at my current stakes.

My on-line bankroll is my bankroll. I never want to reload. This has has worked for me for the past 19 months. Don't get me wrong I've set goals for myself such as "When I reach x buy-ins for the 22's I'll move." When I reach x it never fails that I continue playing where I feel comfortable...I'm a pussy. But, I take pride looking at my cashier page knowing that I won't go broke and I still put some in my pocket.

I set goals to move but I'll probably always be stuck in the 11's. My slippers are comfy. Call me risk adverse aka pussy.

pbr
Old 05-18-2005, 05:01 PM

Not that it matters to you or anyone else, but... I think you have the correct attitude. Playing at the level you are comfortable and happy with is not being a wimp, but part of playing smart poker.

Most folks tend to play better poker when they aren't stressing over the level at which they play.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is just me so take it for what you will...

I play WAY within my bankroll. I view stt as recreation. My friends needle me about moving up but why? Over the past two years I've cashout for a nice vacation with my wife...Vail is awsome. Along with many weekend golf trips.

I play the 11's. I know, I know that I may be very stupid or nieve about the skill required for higher buy-ins but I'm very comfortable at my current stakes.

My on-line bankroll is my bankroll. I never want to reload. This has has worked for me for the past 19 months. Don't get me wrong I've set goals for myself such as "When I reach x buy-ins for the 22's I'll move." When I reach x it never fails that I continue playing where I feel comfortable...I'm a pussy. But, I take pride looking at my cashier page knowing that I won't go broke and I still put some in my pocket.

I set goals to move but I'll probably always be stuck in the 11's. My slippers are comfy. Call me risk adverse aka pussy.

pbr

[/ QUOTE ]
Many people invest their money in CDs when they could get 3x the expected return in the stock market because they're extreemly risk adverse. I don't think sticking at the 10s is any different from this, nor anything to be ashamed of.

on a different note, sometimes it gets hard to assess whether you are beating a level or not by the terrible plays that you see at every table. Even the $200s have their fair share of fish that somehow stumble into them. Its easy to move up limits and think "wow, he just called an all in on level 1 with A9, I can easily beat these guys" without realizing that being better than the obviously worse person at the table is not nearly enough to beat the rest of hte players and the rake. I know this from personal experience because I have tendency to measure myself against the worst players at the table, something that I'm trying to fix.