Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 01:03 PM

Default Wait for a better spot?

80 Person tournament. The blinds are 1000-2000 with a 300 ante. I have about t13,000. I am SB with 99. MP 3 raised to 4000 LP1 calles. I re-raise All-in.

Flop Jh 8h Jd MP3 puts in last t1200 LP1 calles

MP3 has AhQh LP1 has AsQs so I know I am in prety good shape at this point. Forget the turn but the river was an Ace. Anyways obviously I lost the pot but this was my first ever live tourney and I went out at 15th.

I was just wondering should I have moved all-in with the 9's with the blinds so high or waited until a later time. I figured I had about 2 more orbits before I would start to be extremely short stacked. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Wait for a better spot?

I'd have pushed pre-flop too.

You're down to less than 7bb, you gotta make your move while you still have enough chips to make 'em think about it. Wait longer and your push is an insta-call for anyone who's got a decent stack.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:17 PM

99 in the SB with two players in.

This is the "better time". Unless your goal is to sneak into the final table with no chips, you can never ever ever fold in this spot. Ever.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:26 PM

Yeah I figured it was an easy push but in the past what I though was the "easy" play turned out to be wrong just wanted the voice of experience to make sure I played it correctly. I felt I played pretty good though no major mistakes. Even though I didnt cash I feel I made good decisons throughout the whole tournmanet. However, my dad and brother both who just starting playing recently both cashed so that was cool. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:11 PM

Call and push a non-ace flop.

I always assume the best case scenario when I'm shortstacked like this: both players have big drawing cards.

With 8XBB MP3 is autopushing TT-QQ. I think its likely he's on a draw. With MP3 having 8XBB its unlikely that LP1 would call with a pr, especially after a miniraise.

I think both players are calling a push. If MP3 whifs the flop he will get squeezed and not be able to call his two overs. It would be a toss up whether LP1 calls his overs, but he could easily lay them down as he didn't want to raise with them earlier.
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2005, 05:43 PM

good post. Way to really analyze the hand. Its posts like that that will keep this guy coming back to the forum. well said.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:18 PM

Yeah I thought about that. However the MP3 flopped the nut flush draw as well with his AQ so he wasnt going anywhere. If I would have pushed on the flop he would of had about t7,000 of his t10,000 in the pot so it would be an easy call for him to make with 2 overs and the nut flush draw. So I didn't beat myself up to badly for that but I figured it was just a situation where I had no choice and just ran into some bad luck. I felt LP1 was the only one who made an incorrect play by calling to all-ins in front of him with AQ. However, wouldnt of effected outcome of the hand. All it did was make me think I was going to win when they both turned over AQ. Ahhh oh well always next time.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:22 PM

You are being too results oriented. There are 2 possible lines here. One is slightly better than the other. Pushing preflop is OK. I like calling and pushing a non ace flop much more for the reasons that locust stated.

Gavin