Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 PM

Default AA and a paired board

As usual, just got to the table, no reads yet. Did I play this well? Paired boards always get me all nervous. If he had the 8, I didn't want to pay too much, but if he didn't have the 8, I didn't want to scare him off. On the river, there seemed to be less of a chance he'd have an 8, and a good chance that if he went this far he'd pay off with a worse hand.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 12.16 BB
Old 05-17-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: AA and a paired board

Flop re-raise gets you a lot of info. What kind of 8 could this dude be playing from MP2. With no read I guess any 8. I'm agressive in these situations. Flop re-raise, turn bet.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop re-raise gets you a lot of info. What kind of 8 could this dude be playing from MP2. With no read I guess any 8. I'm agressive in these situations. Flop re-raise, turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

MP2 would very, very likely slowplay an 8 anyway. I'd definitely 3-bet the flop and lead the turn.

Edit: I like calling the flop and raising the turn, but only if you have a solid read that MP2 is aggressive and will bet this turn for sure. I'm not a fan of the way you played it.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:38 PM

Huh... see I was thinking this was a way ahead / way behind sort of situation, and being that aggressive would scare him off if he has a weaker hand. Is this different then that situation somehow?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (8.33 SB) 8, 8, 4 (4 players)
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero bets, BB folds, MP1 raises, MP2 folds, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like protection over slowplaying an 8. Either way, reraise the flop! You slowed down too quickly here.

Haupt_234
Old 05-17-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh... see I was thinking this was a way ahead / way behind sort of situation, and being that aggressive would scare him off if he has a weaker hand. Is this different then that situation somehow?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess a read would be helpful here. I guess playing it exactly as hero did makes sense, but it's not how I'd play it. Maybe I found another leak (and there are many more in hiding)?
Old 05-17-2005, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In some senses this is a WA/WB situation, except in this case you're going to have the best hand like 85% of the time, so you need to get more value in.