Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 09:07 PM

Default playing at maniac table

So I sat down at my usual 3/6 holdem table at my local cardroom yesterday and within ten minutes a known maniac sat down at the table across from me. I've played with her many times before and know that she is a bonafide maniac raising 90% or more of her hands preflop, automatically betting and capping the flop, and never folding before the river. So I stay out of her way until I can get the seat directly to her left since everyone else is loose-passive. unfortunately within 20 minutes of moving two or three other maniacs sit down at the table, one directly to my left. next thing i know for about two hours 90% or more of the hands are capped multiway preflop and more than half the time on the flop. so after feeling like getting the worst of it for two hours i move over to a more passive table and finish off a good session.
SO MY QUESTION IS, what adjustments should be made for a game like this: tighten up considerably? loosen up considerably? should i just wait for powerhouse preflop hands? should i be in raise or fold mode? or was moving to a passive table the best option of all?
thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: playing at maniac table

I think the key to playing at a table like this is to buckle down and be ready for a wild ride. Possibly the hardest thing about playing at a maniacal table is handling the emotional roller-coaster that comes with massive multi-way pots. Be prepared for monterous suckouts in huge huge pots.

As for how to play, it's hard to go wrong by just tightening up. It's going to be boring, and you're going to lose a lot of your powerful hands anyway. But even with all that, you're going to be making so much money from the pots that you do manage to hang on and win that you should be cleaning up.

If you want to be more adventurous, try taking a chance with some more speculative hands (middlish pairs, suited broadways). While the raises pre-flop significantly hurt your implied odds, the maniacal play after the flop can help make up for it. Just remember that if you add more hands, you're going to have more swings.