Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Standard?

[ QUOTE ]
These callers are not likely to have a 5 or a deuce and looking for a 5 outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I think people call for a sb with middle or bottom pair all the time. Depending on the players they may or may not be seeing many flops with 5s or 2s in their hands but if they are they're not folding them on this flop.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll tell you what: I 'll give you all the lessons you need for 15-30 success in return for some 100-200 tough games lessons...oh, a little help from you on the bankroll required for 100-200 would be appreciated as well....lol

On a serious note, we have heard all about Bike's rise to success. Tell us your story, Paluka. I for one would be interested. If you don't wnat to tell the world, how about Pm'ing moi?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think my story is that interesting. A big part of me being able to play higher limits comes from the fact that I have a job where I make enough money where I can afford to lose. At no point have I ever been anywhere near a full time poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you have also built up your bankroll and amassed a large enough roll to play in these big games... I'm with SKP and I'm sure others are as well. I'm sure it's a more interesting story than you might think.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:27 PM

We don't disagree at all.

What I meant was that they are unlikely to have a 5 or a deuce given the preflop raise. But if they called preflop with those ranks, then for sure they are calling the flop bet.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

I'll tell you what: I 'll give you all the lessons you need for 15-30 success in return for some 100-200 tough games lessons...oh, a little help from you on the bankroll required for 100-200 would be appreciated as well....lol

On a serious note, we have heard all about Bike's rise to success. Tell us your story, Paluka. I for one would be interested. If you don't wnat to tell the world, how about Pm'ing moi?

I don't think my story is that interesting. A big part of me being able to play higher limits comes from the fact that I have a job where I make enough money where I can afford to lose. At no point have I ever been anywhere near a full time poker player.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you have also built up your bankroll and amassed a large enough roll to play in these big games... I'm with SKP and I'm sure others are as well. I'm sure it's a more interesting story than you might think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe Palukas point is that he didn't build up a bankroll! That said, I don't mind any insights Paluka can give.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My bankroll situation was pretty simple. I won about 30k or so in the early days of partypoker 15/30, and in the first few months of pokerstars 100/200 I won like 70k. I could have easily gone broke just due to variance.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:03 PM

is your name Paluka on stars?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:34 PM

I think the river is a lot closer than gambler. That board is starting to get pretty coordinated and I think a lot of players are going to check AK here. Hmmm, mb cr/ is okish. I htink he bets AA but I dunno. I would need a better read on the player. If it's an unknown I bet.

FWIW, the flop c/r is the correct play IMO. There is value plus you'll get a free card out of position sometimes. When you are 3 bet it's not a disaster (although not desireable), so there really isn't much of a downside. Paluka, say you call and the Q:clubs: comes on the turn, what's your line? Part of the reason I c/r this flop is if he checks behind on the turn when the club hit's it IS a disaster, and betting into him will likely kill any action as it's kinda scary.

The flop c/r also is there to balance the other hands I c/r on the flop. Keep em guessing a little.

What do you think?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is your name Paluka on stars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:48 PM

I wasn't trying to say that his bad fold would win you the pot. Mostly it just makes it hard for the pre-flop raiser not to make a mistake. In this case, the mistake will be likely benefit someone else in the pot and not you, but since it really doesn't cost you anything, I like choosing the option that is harder for your opponents to deal with. I like jamming in EV neutral spots like this because it makes it hard for marginal made hands to get away when I flop a big hand like a set. Other examples:

Capping the flop 3-ways with KJ on a board of QT2 rainbow. Its hard for you to be getting much the worst of it here, but one of the made hands against you is getting killed (say QT vs TT or AQ vs QT or AQ vs 22). You may be giving up a tiny bit of EV, but you've made it very difficult for one of your opponents.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I understand some said it was a value bet, another said it was to get a free card if blank hits, but I was replying to hamlet who said that one of reason its a good play is because it may get them to make a bad fold. About the value bet, it is basically getting the same odds as you would if you just called but risking getting worst odds. As for the free card, if the pfr has nothing he is not going to bet into four players whether you c/r or just called and if he does have something and you c/r and then check it back to him on the turn he should easily see that you are on a draw and bet. But I understand everyone plays differently and it is a reasonable play, so I'll stop yapping

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-17-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, usually the play at worst is right around neutral EV at worst and it disguises the times you make this play with sets and 2 pair.