Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 04:32 PM

Default 24 Hour 5 card draw sng\'s and Tourneys

Hi Everyone,

I'm just getting my feet wet at PL 5 card draw. The Tourney's at 24 Hour look juicy. I have played A BUNCH of limit draw at Paradise and play quite a few NLHE sng's and MTT's. Any major differences in strategy between NLHE and 5 draw tourney's?
Old 05-17-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: 24 Hour 5 card draw sng\'s and Tourneys

Don't play in the 24h tourneys and SNGs. They are filled with sharks and are totally unbeatable.

Ha, just kidding. I should really not talk about these tourneys, but welcome.

A few quick differences between holdem and draw MTTs
1. Open-limping is usually not the best play in NL holdem and it is virtually never a good idea in draw.
2. I find myself doing more check-calling in draw than in holdem.
3. Depending on opponent (this is huge in draw), often the best way to get paid off when you hit a big hand is to check and try to induce a bet, rather than betting out yourself.
4. Many draw players seem to not be very "tournament savvy" and have difficulty adjusting to that "inflection point" of the tourney where the blinds force you to start stealing and pushing things more.
5. Lots of the MTTs at 24h are rebuy events. I strongly recommend always taking the immediate rebuy, rebuying at any point where you can (most of the tourneys have a limited number of rebuys allowed), and taking the addon. Much of the field do not take the rebuys and it's almost unfair how much of an advantage a double/triple stack is.
6. Be VERY careful with two pair-two pair is to draw what those pesky mid-pocket pairs are to holdem-a great way to win or lose a bunch of chips.
7. Watch to see who is habitually "false-carding". This is an epidemic at 24h. A lot of players are always predictably limping and drawing 2 with a pair and a good kicker. If they had trips, they would draw 1. There are some tricksters that will change up, limp with big hands, and are hard to put on a hand, but most are predictable in their attempts to fool you.

Hope to see you at the final table sometime. I'm Tom_Bayes at 24h.

One warning: there is an as-hole at 24h that will accuse all Americans of being team players if two Americans happen to be at the same table. This is, of course, because all Americans know each other and make their living scamming Scandanavians at small stakes draw poker tables
[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You can read more about this, and my draw experiences in general, at http://tom-bayes.livejournal.com
Old 05-18-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One warning: there is an as-hole at 24h that will accuse all Americans of being team players if two Americans happen to be at the same table.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought he was a dooshbag? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-24-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6. Be VERY careful with two pair-two pair is to draw what those pesky mid-pocket pairs are to holdem-a great way to win or lose a bunch of chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would liken two pair more to AQo in NLHE, but I get your point. Problem is, it's far more easier to get away from 77 pre or post flop in NLHE than aces and kings in draw (especially pre-draw). Of course, I'm speaking purely from a limit standpoint in the draw example, as I've never played a draw tournament in my life.

Methinks I need to check out 24-Hour Poker. However, since it's Euro-based in terms of currency, any difficulties in funding my bankroll there through an American bank or online courier, such as Firepay?
Old 05-24-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I would liken two pair more to AQo in NLHE, but I get your point. Problem is, it's far more easier to get away from 77 pre or post flop in NLHE than aces and kings in draw (especially pre-draw). Of course, I'm speaking purely from a limit standpoint in the draw example, as I've never played a draw tournament in my life.

Methinks I need to check out 24-Hour Poker. However, since it's Euro-based in terms of currency, any difficulties in funding my bankroll there through an American bank or online courier, such as Firepay?

[/ QUOTE ]

AQo in holdem is a good analogy to two pair in draw, maybe better than small pocket pair because it's often hard to get away from when dominated (queens up loses to aces up like AQ loses to AK).

As far as funding at 24h, I use Neteller with no problems. Keep in mind that 24h only allows one free cashout back to Neteller per month. I don't think 24h takes Firepay and I'm not sure about the logistics of a bank transfer.

I emailed Neteller recently and here's their conversion policy on dollars/euros transactions:

NETeller's currency exchange rate is based off global market rates. Our rate
is 1.9% higher than the rates found on www.oanda.com or from your local
bank.

You can contact NETeller by Phone, Email or LiveChat to request what the
current exchange rate is that will be applied to your transactions, however
please be aware that the rates fluctuate frequently and that the rate quoted
by NETeller is an estimate only.

Currently our exchange rate would be as follows:

100.00 Euros X 1.2572 = $125.72 United States Dollars
On May 9, 2005 12:09 PM on a Currency Change.