Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: I knew it...eventually a machine would take my job

Old 02-26-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I bet it pushes if it has the nuts on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take this bet.
Old 02-27-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW(which may not be much), I don't think party's rules are legal(even if the gambling part was/is). The way I understand it, Anti-trust/monopoly law doesn't allow anyone to dictate through that sort of aggreement which progrmas you can run on your computer while there's is running. Otherwise we would live in a straight microsoft world.

Is it right? Maybe that's better left to the philosophers. Poker players mostly think it's wrong, coders seem to think it's ok. It just depends on how you make your money. The way I see it, The world isn't fair to start with. Poker players would rather it be unfair in their favor, and coder would rather it be unfair in theirs..

-John

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there are economic reasons M$ dosn't do that (not sure if the law would say anything about it, esp since dubya is unlikely to actually stop any abuses anyway). Anyway I'm not sure having a program directly interface with the party software is the same as having a program run at the same time.

I don't know if you've ever played chess, but the ICC (chess server, I play at FICS btw) has many of the same abilities to see what you're doing. I've never heard of any legal cases coming about because of any actions taken when someone was running a chess engine at the same time as their client.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW(which may not be much), I don't think party's rules are legal(even if the gambling part was/is). The way I understand it, Anti-trust/monopoly law doesn't allow anyone to dictate through that sort of aggreement which progrmas you can run on your computer while there's is running. Otherwise we would live in a straight microsoft world.

Is it right? Maybe that's better left to the philosophers. Poker players mostly think it's wrong, coders seem to think it's ok. It just depends on how you make your money. The way I see it, The world isn't fair to start with. Poker players would rather it be unfair in their favor, and coder would rather it be unfair in theirs..

-John

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there are economic reasons M$ dosn't do that (not sure if the law would say anything about it, esp since dubya is unlikely to actually stop any abuses anyway). Anyway I'm not sure having a program directly interface with the party software is the same as having a program run at the same time.

I don't know if you've ever played chess, but the ICC (chess server, I play at FICS btw) has many of the same abilities to see what you're doing. I've never heard of any legal cases coming about because of any actions taken when someone was running a chess engine at the same time as their client.

[/ QUOTE ] There is also not much money involved in chess. Also since when have we thought offshore sites were subject to the same laws Microsoft would be?
Old 05-17-2005, 12:12 AM

The nasty $20+$2 players are trained apes, not 'bots'.

They use the Sklanksy 'System'... as described on page 122 of Tournament Poker for Advanced Players.

This link explains the details:

Primate Poker Inc
Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 AM

Thats too funny, im buying stock in PPI.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is fascinating. Does it exploit the protocol or identify the cards I wonder?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would gues to identity the cards it just parses the saved text file.. How is it doing the raising??

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm, is the text file partially generated as the hand is played though? Or is each hand added to it at the end of the hand?