Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Critique my play on this hand please! =)

Should I have reraised on the turn or the river? I wasn't sure I had the best hand:

--------------------------------------------------

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

MP ($46.44)
Hero ($25.15)
SB ($11.25)
BB ($21.58)
UTG ($25)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1. UTG posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG (poster) checks, MP calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.35</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.25, BB calls $1.10, UTG folds, MP folds.

Flop: ($4.55) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, SB folds, BB calls $3.

Turn: ($10.55) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

River: ($16.55) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3.

Final Pot: $22.55
Old 05-16-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Critique my play on this hand please! =)

it looks fine. no, you shouldn't raise...you're only going to be called by a hand that beats you. if you're ahead, let him bet the hand for you...you'll make more when you're ahead and lose less when you're behind.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Tricky one. I think IŽd have reraised him on the turn, and even though it is likely he has two pair here, IŽd be more inclined to think that heŽs drawing to a heart flush as well (maybe made a pair on the flop) and just hoped to take the play away from you when the ace came on.

I dont think you should reraise on the river. If youŽd get called youŽre probably beat.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:30 PM

Why would you want to raise the turn if you put him on a heart draw? This might make him fold now, or less likely to bluff on a missed river. If he has hearts, we definitely DON'T want him to fold, since we will probably get his entire stack if the river hits.

I agree, though, no raise on the river, can't think of too many hands that will call the raise that you beat.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and even though it is likely he has two pair here,

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious what makes you think this. That guy isn't betting with any strength. I could see the guy having a weak king.

I would definitely call it down... but the villain is betting 1/4 of the pot. If he's got villain beat, he's not betting it very confidently.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:38 PM

HereŽs why I figured thereŽs a good chance this guy had 2 pair ...
He called the preflop bet - which loads of weak players do with Ax.
Then he called the $3 on the flop, so I figured he must have had a piece of it.
Then an Ace came on the turn and he started betting from early position. Not unlikely this gave him two pair, I think.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:16 PM

well, he/she ended up just being a bad player. I was worried about the two pair also. Thanks for all the input.

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Tc Td (one pair, tens).
Hero has Ah Jh (one pair, aces).
Outcome: Hero wins $22.55. </font>
Old 05-16-2005, 06:32 PM

i would raise preflop to 1.5. i bet the pot on the flop. when he leads at me like that on the turn, i push maybe 33% of the time. it looks like he has 2 pair there or even a set but i have some folding equity against other hands and my flush outs are still live. also another reason to consider pushing is so that you do not face a difficult river decision if he makes a potsized bet there. folding this pot incorrectly would suck. since he only bet 3 dollars on the river, i'd make that crying call as well.