Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Please Study Maslow Before you Decide to \"Go Pro\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'll rephrase it. Which level of need are we serving right now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't even bother, Purnell. Read his other posts. This guy is a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but maybe he'll say something that makes sense or is incredibly funny.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:18 PM

Anyone who is considering turning pro should carefully study Hayano's book. Today pros have more opportunities than they did then, but I believe the basic pattern remains the same.

Regards,

Al
Old 05-16-2005, 05:19 PM

Well you named several activities, which do you plan to spend more time doing than in your "job"?

Why not get a job making music since it sounds like you like that?

Did you flunk out of music and have to turn to poker as a desperate second choice to make money? I know for many pros poker was not their first choice, so you won't be alone. This fails to convince me, however, that pro poker are the "winners" they say they are, though: A real winner would make the big bucks via their music, and not have to give up so much of his or her time to poker. Right?

Starting to see what I'm getting at?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:26 PM

I am trying to educate people thinking about going pro or who are already pro that there are better (as in happier) ways to live ones life.

I get the feeling it might boil down to self-esteem issues though: Pro players may want to do something better (eg be automobile safety engineers) but not have the self confidence to succeed. Only the pros here will know that in their heart, and I don't imagine given the image they want to present to the world how truthful they are likely to be about admitting this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to educate people thinking about going pro or who are already pro that there are better (as in happier) ways to live ones life.

I get the feeling it might boil down to self-esteem issues though: Pro players may want to do something better (eg be automobile safety engineers) but not have the self confidence to succeed. Only the pros here will know that in their heart, and I don't imagine given the image they want to present to the world how truthful they are likely to be about admitting this. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

As Dr Al and others have pointed out, many pro gamblers have an unhealthy lifestyle and end up in financial trouble later in life. Their social lives are often very limited.

What I don't understand:

How do you presume that I am unhappy? I have said before on this forum that I believe happiness to be a choice, and I choose it.

Not have the self-confidence to succeed? So you mean I decided to quit my other job and rely on my poker winnings because I am afraid I will fail? ????
Old 05-16-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the article you refer to it explains that self-actualizers, which you seem to feel is the ideal, have the following qualities.

[ QUOTE ]
They had an unhostile sense of humor -- preferring to joke at their own expense, or at the human condition, and never directing their humor at others. They had a quality he called acceptance of self and others, by which he meant that these people would be more likely to take you as you are than try to change you into what they thought you should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if you think you are or you want to be a self-actualizer it would seem you have work to do.

I enjoyed reading the article and thank you for posting it. I just wanted to point out that you are just as likely to be wrong when you criticize Purnell as I am by criticizing you. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I am sure there are self-actualizing poker pros out there why not Purnell?

Btw I might no have understood the article correctly but I think I need to get more sex before I can comment on any of this.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:43 AM

Some try (and are sucessful) to 'starve' themselves to 'self-actualization'. Or enlighenment. The starving can be semi-literal and involve more than just deprivations of food.

-Zeno, Zen Master.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:56 AM

It all depends on the person. Self actualization through poker is poetry in motion....
Old 05-17-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So if you think you are or you want to be a self-actualizer it would seem you have work to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. I'll try and be a kinder and gentler shark in the future while still sticking to my point of view, since I know it's right.

[ QUOTE ]
I enjoyed reading the article and thank you for posting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your welcome, it sure made some things clear to me too. Maybe these psychologists do know something after all? (ooops slipping already) [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I think I need to get more sex before I can comment on any of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sex is overrated. Having more (or less) won't change your overall character and aspirations much.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:18 AM

Playing poker for a living allows me to attain all five levels in ways that I couldn't if I had another job. Not that I've attained self-actualization, but I'm closer to it than I would be doing something else.