Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Do Pros Read Poker Books?

I read a article Scott Fishman wrote about what he has done to get to where he is. He said people ask him what good books there are to read, he response's by saying he can't say because he has never read a book on poker.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I read a article Scott Fishman wrote about what he has done to get to where he is. He said people ask him what good books there are to read, he response's by saying he can't say because he has never read a book.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP
Old 05-15-2005, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read a article Scott Fishman wrote about what he has done to get to where he is. He said people ask him what good books there are to read, he response's by saying he can't say because he has never read a book.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

What does FYP stand for [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

What does FYP stand for [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed your post.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

What does Fixed Your Post stand for [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

It's almost always done to make a [hopefully] clever joke.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:32 AM

Default Barry Greenstein = \"no\"

(n/t)
Old 05-16-2005, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read a article Scott Fishman wrote about what he has done to get to where he is. He said people ask him what good books there are to read, he response's by saying he can't read.

[/ QUOTE ]

let's try that again....FYP [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-16-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, have any of you successful mid-high stakes players learned alot from poker books? Or was it more from practice, experience, and/or natural ability? I've just been curious about this for awhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think books or are great shortcut, but experience is what will get you past the basic level of poker competence.

As for natural ability, it requires A LOT to be a winning player, but it's less about the kind that the truly great players have, and more about understanding basic mathematical concepts, understanding the difference between short term results and your EV in a situation, keeping your cool, etc.

I (obviously) have no idea what's required to play like Ivey or Greenstein.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:25 AM

Nope. They don't need no stinking books! Well, Scotty Nyguen could probably use few skims of TOP, but not the actual best of the best players. I imagine some of the top players (the real top players, not those phony tourny winners the media likes to pawn off as poker geniuses) have read some of the books, but I don't think they needed them or gained very much from them. I'm sure they did get alot better from talking to some of the other great players which is similar to reading books, except much much better.

-Ezcheeze
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nope. They don't need no stinking books! Well, Scotty Nyguen could probably use few skims of TOP, but not the actual best of the best players. I imagine some of the top players (the real top players, not those phony tourny winners the media likes to pawn off as poker geniuses) have read some of the books, but I don't think they needed them or gained very much from them. I'm sure they did get alot better from talking to some of the other great players which is similar to reading books, except much much better.

-Ezcheeze

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if there is alot of players out there that are really good and make huge money in high limit cash games, but since they don't play tourney's (or just do bad in them) nobody knows who they are [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I bet there has to be some players like this, don't you think?