Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2003, 08:45 PM

Default AC Trop Trip Report - short trip, long post

I've been to Atlantic City quite a few times, but I will make a report from last weekend, partly because I was successful and played well, and partly because I want to see what you guys like about AC, for those who go.

I got there via Greyhound (I don't like to drive there from Baltimore, and the price of the ticket minus the cash bonus payback, make it more than ideal than driving. Plus, I get to sleep the way there and back.) on Friday night. Checked into the Trop room around 11pm. Had originally booked a regular room for $200, but they bumped me up to a suite. I'm liking my trip already.

Two friends and I make it down to the poker room around 11:30pm. There are two pink chip (7.50-15) games going on, one being a mustmove.

Once we make it to the main table, I observe that the table is very loose, with two asians who like to raise any two cards.

Hand 1 -

7.50-15. Im in middle position. There's a two calls, and I raise with A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . The CO and button cold call, the blinds call, and the two limpers call.

Flop is : 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . It gets checked to me, and I bet. The CO and SB call. One of my friends to my direct right raises. Knowing him, I know he has at least a J. I fold, and the rest complete.

Turn is : A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . Checked to my friend, he bets, and CO calls only.

River is a dud. Checked around, and my friend wins the pot with JQ.

Did I lay my AK down too easily? All I had to do was put in another SB to see the turn (if no one limp-raises behind me). I personally hate (read again - HATE) drawing with overcards. But is this a time to do so?

I end up going to the hotel suite around 3:30 am. I find myself up about $60, so it was a good few hours, up 4 BB.

The suite, by the way, was a regular hotel room with two beds, but had another room attached. It looked like a family room, with a tv, and a table. The bump up to the suite more than made my day, and I went to sleep watching reruns of the Flyers beating the Maple Leafs. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I wake up around 11am, and check out time is at 12pm. My friends tell me they were both up around $300 each at the table, before they went to sleep around 5am. The pink game seems to be the jackpot.

We decide to take the 9pm bus back to Baltimore, so we have about 8 hours of playing time left. We go to the poker room a little before noon, and find there is no pink game, but about 6 names on the list. We all sign up for the game, and join a 4-8 table.

Hand Two -

First hand at 4-8. I am BB. 3 callers, and then a raise. 2 cold callers, SB calls, I call with 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . You can grill me on this call later.

8 people see the flop of - K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . Raiser bets, 3 calls, and I call. 5 people left.

Turn is - 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . Preflop raiser bets, one caller, and I call.

River is - A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . I bet, and raiser calls. I win with my flush.

You can comment on any part of this hand, as I know I shouldn't call preflop with suited trash like 48.

We get the pink game around 1pm, and it is a live table. One time, 7 people capped preflop. Crazy game.

Hand 3 -

I am in the CO with 99 (suits unimportant). Two loose MP players call, I call, the button and SB call, and the BB checks. The flop is

A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . Checked to me, I check, and button checks.

Turn is 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] . Checked to me, and I bet. The button is the only one who calls.

River is 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] . I bet, and he calls.

My 99 wins, and he shows me 8T, saying he wanted to keep me honest.

Any comment anywhere during that hand too. Raise preflop? Bet the flop? I am 50/50 on the way I played that hand.

My friends both go on losing streaks, partly because they aren't getting good cards, and some because they are playing too many hands. They eventually give back their winnings from the night before, and go deeper. I on the other hand end up $850 - about 55 BBs on the night.

I want to visit the Trop and the pink game ( I find it is where I am the most comfortable, more so than 4-8 or 10-20.) more often. I might go during the week, but I don't know whether it is that live during the week. The advantage about going during the week is that the hotel rate is about $50, but quadruples to $200 on the weekend.

Thanks for listening and any comments on my play.

john

EDIT: Grammar correction.