Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Yet another JJ hand

Brand new to the table, fewer than 5 hands on UTG.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (21 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (17.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, SB folds, UTG calls.

River: (23.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 26.50 BB

Two questions:

1) Given his eagerness to bet every round was I right to fear the king?
2) Without posting the hand results let's say I had flopped middle set instead... Assuming the same cards would I have been right to play it as aggressively (given the response)? At some point a logical person would start fearing the higher set, which leaves you only one out (for quads).

Viper GTS
Old 05-15-2005, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Yet another JJ hand

1) the bet on the turn to me suggests aa-qq or aj. of course having no reads you can't be 100%. personally i would raise this again on the end, but certainly could be wrong and overplaying my hand. since kk and T9 are the only hands that beat you i think its ok.

2) middle set is still an extremely strong hand and i would use the same line. logical is usually not the way to descripe opponents at this level so i'd be very slow to give credit to a better hand. and if you lose set over set just be confident that you took the right line and it'll work out over time.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) the bet on the turn to me suggests aa-qq or aj. of course having no reads you can't be 100%. personally i would raise this again on the end, but certainly could be wrong and overplaying my hand. since kk and T9 are the only hands that beat you i think its ok

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising the river is bad. Go for the overcall instead. You win at most one more bet out of villain if he just calls, but you lose two if he raises with KK. You can pick up that same bet from an overcall and you don't risk paying off a better hand.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:49 AM

I agree that AA-QQ are villain's most likely holdings - but I think simply calling the river leaves money on the table. If I am going to lose with my set of jacks, I am going to lose big. I don't think I ever back off this hand at any stage.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:58 AM

Id Cap the river also, only T9 and KK beat you, and youll see thinks like AJ and QQ here often enough to raise this on the river.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:02 PM

whats up viper.

in a pot this big i think MP2 will call with just about any decent hand since the pot is huge and he has been calling the bets/raises cold. i would cap for value against both villians.

in general, when i flop a set my cursor does not leave the Raise Any button. worrying about any overset will usually just end up costing you money.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:03 PM

I would call because I fear KK but your thinking is way smarter!

I want to learn to think like that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-15-2005, 12:22 PM

grunch

I think UTG is just as likely to have AA,QQ,TT or even 99 as he is to have KK. I think you are correct to fear the K’s but I think you have to raise the river anyway. (at least I probably would) On the other hand your betting 1 to get 1 (I don’t think I’d cap but I’d have to call a 3 bet) and may be betting 2 to lose 3, so the call would probably be better.

Yeah, I think if an A,K or Q comes on the flop w/the same kind of action it becomes a completely different hand. But that is all just hypothetical.

Now that I read the other posts and the overcall line has been pointed out that's what I vote for. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Course in real life I'm too damn involved in my own hand to think that fast. dammit. git in the game boy. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Old 05-15-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At some point a logical person would start fearing the higher set, which leaves you only one out (for quads).

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but that shouldn't happen until the river or deep into the turn. There is a saying that is true IMO: "If you don't lose a lot with a set, you played it poorly."
Old 05-15-2005, 01:02 PM

To go for the overcall is correct IMO.