Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 05:33 PM

Default JQ blind steal turns to tragedy

I hate situations like this. Upon mustering up the guts to show some aggression, I seem to have trouble knowing when to back down. I'm pretty sure I should be bailing or doing something different here, but what? Where? I should probably check through on the turn, but I have no hope of winning the pot if I do that, and with his call of my 3-bet and the subsequent check, I'm thinking (at the time) that there's at least *some* chance I can get him to fold. Help me find the line between agression and insanity.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font> ...
Old 05-14-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: JQ blind steal turns to tragedy

Huh... guess this must be tougher than I thought, if no one has an answer... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-14-2005, 07:57 PM

This line is ok as part of a larger package to vary your play, maybe use it 30% of the time. That along with when you hit the flop and legitimately 3-bet, should keep you from being predictable.

However as your standard line, you will be chip spewing.

River bet only works, if you can get a king or ace high busted flush draw to fold, I would check it through.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

River bet only works, if you can get a king or ace high busted flush draw to fold, I would check it through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya. I don't see the need in the river bet. If called you are beat. If he folds you had him anyway.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Help me find the line between agression and insanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hand has little showdown value and it is not a holding you want to take to war. Call the checkraise and fold the turn UI. When your going to try to run someone off, its good to have an ace in the hole.

Stu