Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 11:16 PM

Default A8s on the button

Villian hasn't raised PF. Very loose, he's not super passive but not real aggressive either.

I was planning on raising the turn, but waited until the river instead. Good/bad? Pointless and not really worth discussing?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.70 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 12.70 BB
Old 05-14-2005, 12:41 AM

Default Re: A8s on the button

Cap the flop.

Given that you didn't, raise the turn.

Waiting for the river is a play for when you have a not-that-strong hand but you think it is stronger than your opponent's. 3betting the river usually requires a monster so you guard yourself from being reraised by marginally better hands than your own.

Waiting for the river here will not save you from being 3bet from the flush, because the 4 doesn't scare him at all. He's either 3betting it or he's not, waiting doesn't change anything.

In this case you should be quite confident your hand is best. On the flop his 3betting standards include all 2 pair, and big Aces that he "slowplayed" preflop are also possible. Of course, a flush draw is possible as well.

If you are 3bet on the turn call down (unless you fill up, of course.)

Surf
Old 05-14-2005, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the input, I played this pretty retardedly. I was pretty sure my hand was best but wanted to wait for the turn to raise. For some reason the spade made me wait, but as you point out if he has the flush, I might as well get 3-bet on the turn. Not to mention I can make up an extra BB on the river when I do suckout.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:51 AM

Yup. It's not awful, it's just not optimal. you still threw the raise in there on the end [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 05-14-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yup. It's not awful, it's just not optimal. you still threw the raise in there on the end

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been experimenting with a lot of different stuff and trying to learn more by trying a lot of weird lines. Unfortunately, I've tripled the amount of completely stupid plays I make, and thats a lot considering how many I previously made!
Old 05-14-2005, 04:06 AM

Not to hijack, but this is a slight variation that I played today:

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed)converter (converter is being ornery)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero checks.
Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.
Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.
River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB

My equity against a hand like 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or any bare heart goes way up on a blank turn, and I can probably only get one raise in against a hand that I beat, so it might as well be for $12. Is this a better spot for this line?
Old 05-14-2005, 04:14 AM

Yes. Raising the turn in your hand is best. Mainly because a lone heart wont call you on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 05-14-2005, 05:46 AM

sorry i can't help myself.
Raise PF [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]