Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Default 3/6 NL - AK 3OTB v LAG

I have just sat down a few orbits ago, and this guy UTG has been very lag, re-raising to 75 from 25 with Q9s 5OTB and basically running all over the table. PF raises with A5s from early and J9o from late. He has pushed me off the best hand once when I had second pair. He has 450 and I have him covered. He has raised 4 out of the last 7 hands preflop and taken them all.

10 handed, UTG, he rasies to 30, fold, fold. I have AK, and raise to 150, everyone folds, and he calls. Flop comes T73 rainbow. He checks...your move?

Bingo
Old 05-13-2005, 09:33 PM

Default Re: 3/6 NL - AK 3OTB v LAG

anyone?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:39 PM

he must suspect that you have an overpair, so bet the pot like you've got one. after that, i think you're done with the hand whether he calls, raises, or folds.

i'm not sure i like your raise, though. how much of his post-flop play have you seen?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he must suspect that you have an overpair, so bet the pot like you've got one. after that, i think you're done with the hand whether he calls, raises, or folds.

i'm not sure i like your raise, though. how much of his post-flop play have you seen?

[/ QUOTE ]

All-in is a bit suspicious. So just bet $250. By my count, he's got $300, so whatever he does after you bet is unimportant; you're calling him if he goes allin, putting the rest in on the river if he calls, and smiling and noddding if he folds (most likely).

You need to follow up your preflop reraises with the LAGs, unless you're trying to induce a bluff from them. In this case, you just want to win, so bet big and see what happens.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:08 PM

oh right. stack size. i wasn't paying attention. i was thinking you should bet the pot, but didn't realize that it would mean putting him all-in. um. is 250 less suspicious than 300 when the pot is 300 and he has 300 left? i don't think so, really, but i guess it could be true. in any case, you're still betting big here. just not folding ever.

creed. what do you think of the pf raise?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:09 PM

and what do you do if he leads into you for 150? 300?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:31 PM

His post flop seems loose, and he doesnt need much to call. I think if he leads into me here I would fold. When I made the preflop raise, I half expected a race for all my chips, which I was prepared to do.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh right. stack size. i wasn't paying attention. i was thinking you should bet the pot, but didn't realize that it would mean putting him all-in. um. is 250 less suspicious than 300 when the pot is 300 and he has 300 left? i don't think so, really, but i guess it could be true. in any case, you're still betting big here. just not folding ever.

creed. what do you think of the pf raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

PF (re)raise is ok. It would be much better if there were dead money in the pot from weak/tight coldcallers who would get out of the way once you raise big, but you've got to punish these loose raisers. Besides, when you do it with AK is good cover for when you do it with AA-QQ.

PF reraise would also be very good if you were in the blinds, because then you will not be tempted to take a free card, which is a bad move in this situation.

If opponent leads out with a substantial bet after your reraise, and the board is no help like this one, you have to fold.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you've got to punish these loose raisers. Besides, when you do it with AK is good cover for when you do it with AA-QQ.

PF reraise would also be very good if you were in the blinds, because then you will not be tempted to take a free card, which is a bad move in this situation.

If opponent leads out with a substantial bet after your reraise, and the board is no help like this one, you have to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts in a nutshell....particurlarly the free card point. You cant wimp out on the flop with this play against this type of opponent, regardless of the flop.

I pushed him all in on the flop when he checked - regardless of the result, I think it was the right thing.

Bingo