Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Commerce in LA - first live play

"Place was full enough on a tuesday night that it took 10 min. at 8:30 to find a parking space"

FYI, Valet park your car at Commerce and at the Bike, it's $2 at Commerce and $1.5 at the Bike plus tip and will save you time
Old 05-13-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oh, no, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply it was "lacking" it just... didn't have that razzle-dazzle always in motion feel that vegas gives off.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean, there's no slots?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, no slots in CA. Only games of skill. I guess it's good because people that would normally play blackjack or craps are forced to get their fix from Poker.

I haven't played there in a while, played 4-8 last time I was there. Been meaning to checkout their no limit.

One thing about commerce and the bike that's different from vegas -- you don't run into many tourists that are there only for the weekend. I usually run into people that seem like that just didn't want to go home to the family so they go play Poker.

Funny about the guy that got thrown out for throwing cards! I thought you had to draw blood to get thrown out of there!

One question though -- What's the buy in for the $1/$2 no limit? I figure $100, but is there a cap?
Old 05-13-2005, 03:53 PM

I play the $100 buyin no limit game. I used to play 2-4 limit but for whatever reason I couldn't beat it. The NL game is very soft though (I've only played on weekends for about the last 4-6 months) and you can usually get paid off when you hold a monster.

There is BJ at Commerce though, but it's California BJ with a player dealer. I don't know exactly how it is played; I know I can make more money playing poker so I never bothered to try it.

Has anyone played the $200 buy-in NL at Commerce? It's it much more difficult than the $100 buy-in?
Old 05-13-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play the $100 buyin no limit game. I used to play 2-4 limit but for whatever reason I couldn't beat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

<cough> $3 drop each hand?

I think the best newbie limit game at the Commerce is definitely the 4/8. On a weekend you will easily find a table with 6-7 players in most pots. And the drop is only a somewhat extortionate $3+$1 jackpot.

[ QUOTE ]

The NL game is very soft though (I've only played on weekends for about the last 4-6 months) and you can usually get paid off when you hold a monster.

Has anyone played the $200 buy-in NL at Commerce? It's it much more difficult than the $100 buy-in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly I am an atrocious NL player but I agree with your assessment. The $200 is really no different from the smaller game except players seem to stick around longer, so the stacks are often a bit deeper.
Old 05-13-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

<cough> $3 drop each hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I lost more than I should have with that drop. LOL I think it had more to do with the much lower implied odds in limit vs NL.