Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Bad villains bad villains whatcha gonna do?

Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

5-10 NL at Pokerroom, 7 handed, I have $1557 in the SB and villain has ~1800 in the BB. Read on villian is he's loose (something like 45-17 PT stats) and may overvalue hands slightly. Postflop play he's a bit of a LAG but not ridiculous. I don't know if he's perceptive enough to see my river bet as a blocking bet.

Hero is SB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, Villain checks.

Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot: $19)
Hero bets $15, Villain calls $15.

Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Pot: $48)
Hero bets $45, Villain raises to $100, Hero reraises to $295, Villain calls $195.

River 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot: $637)
Hero bets $300, Villain raises to $937 (All-in for Hero), Hero...?

Preflop: ehhh I fold sometimes, but I'm an action junkie, why not. Doesn't matter much either way I'm pretty sure.
Flop: battle of the blinds, let's try and tear it down.
Turn: or that works. Gotta reraise.
River: derrr

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Bad villains bad villains whatcha gonna do?

[ QUOTE ]
Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

5-10 NL at Pokerroom, 7 handed, I have $1557 in the SB and villain has ~1800 in the BB. Read on villian is he's loose (something like 45-17 PT stats) and may overvalue hands slightly. Postflop play he's a bit of a LAG but not ridiculous. I don't know if he's perceptive enough to see my river bet as a blocking bet.

Hero is SB with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, Villain checks.

Flop T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Pot: $19)
Hero bets $15, Villain calls $15.

Turn Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Pot: $48)
Hero bets $45, Villain raises to $100, Hero reraises to $295, Villain calls $195.

River 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot: $637)
Hero bets $300, Villain raises to $937 (All-in for Hero), Hero...?

Preflop: ehhh I fold sometimes, but I'm an action junkie, why not. Doesn't matter much either way I'm pretty sure.
Flop: battle of the blinds, let's try and tear it down.
Turn: or that works. Gotta reraise.
River: derrr

Comments on all streets appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love battle of the blinds hands.

Preflop, whatever. Flop, sure, take a stab. Turn, definite three-betting spot; I think an argument could be made for a push, since people tend to overplay their hands so much in blind v. blind confrontations, and villain might call w/ his two pair or whatever . . .

River is obviously where it gets interesting. I'm having a bit of a hard time putting villain on a hand here. When he calls the flop, I put him on either hearts or some kind of weird pair/two pair hand. When he raises the turn, however, it could be a flopped two pair, K4 maybe, but it seems a bit more likely to me that the Q helped him. Q4? Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? KQ/Q10? 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]X [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] also makes sense. I dunno. They all seem possible.

It's a tough decision to call that river raise or not. To me it kinda depends on villain; if it was a papagallo-type player, I'm insta-calling here. As it is, given what you've told us about villain's play in general, I think I make a crying call. But then I tend to look people up too often. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 02:43 PM

looks like a house from the turn and river play.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:47 PM

My apologies, i did not read the post correctly. 10-4 and k4 unlikely, shows u Kt most of the time.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:55 PM

Why would he push on KT...seems much more profitable to call down on that river...i dont see villain making this play w/ netihng except a turned two pair and rivered boat or possibly missed hearts??...also it sounds like this player may well raise KT from sb preflop...given that i think u gotta fold on the river as the vast majority of possible holdings beat you...
Old 05-13-2005, 03:27 PM

Who is villain?
Old 05-13-2005, 03:46 PM

Is A-J out of the question? Granted, I'd probably raise the on the BB with it against only the SB, but I wouldn't eliminate it from possible holdings...but it's obviously player dependent.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:31 PM

this is a tough fold... i dont know. seems like K4 or AJ are the only hands he can have... i also think you should have moved in after he raised you on the turn...
Old 05-13-2005, 04:46 PM

Villain is musicboy1. You probably have a much better read on him than I so I'm curious what you think. I'm just recently starting to not do other tasks (very bad habit) while playing poker and use Pokertracker/Gametime, so my reads on players are just beginning to be as strong as I would like them to be.

I'm surprised neon knew who papagallo was, I wonder who he is on pokerroom!
Old 05-13-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is musicboy1. You probably have a much better read on him than I so I'm curious what you think. I'm just recently starting to not do other tasks (very bad habit) while playing poker and use Pokertracker/Gametime, so my reads on players are just beginning to be as strong as I would like them to be.

I'm surprised neon knew who papagallo was, I wonder who he is on pokerroom!

[/ QUOTE ]

Musicboy will often CALL all-ins with weak hands, but when he's doing the RAISING allin tends to have the goods.

But -- he also overvalues his hands, so what he views as "the goods" may not in fact be the goods.

He doesn't think he's bluffing, but he could have something as weak as AK here and think he's good. So I would call.