Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Errr - I Guess I Bet this River?

I thought I read that since there is a really good chance my hand just became second best with this river - I should just check here . . .but actually - I think that was a NO LIMIT book that I was reading.....oh and by the way - I think I just saw another mistake - why in the world did I just call the raise on the flop?????

Well anyways - what would all you sharks do on this river?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

River: (12.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 6h 9h (high card, king).
UTG has 9d 9s (one pair, nines).
UTG+2 has 6s As (high card, ace).
Hero has Qc Qd (one pair, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.25 BB. </font>
Old 05-13-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Errr - I Guess I Bet this River?

[ QUOTE ]
why in the world did I just call the raise on the flop?????

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

I'm wondering why you didn't 3-bet the flop. I'd still be the river. No one has shown that a Ko will help them.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:00 PM

There are a lot of cards you're not going to be happy about seeing on the turn. Any ace or any two could be a problem, and another diamond would be a cause for some concern as well. Plus, I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable if a six fell.

As a result, waiting until the turn to raise is tempting. On the other hand, the same cards that scare you may also scare UTG and cause him to check the turn. Also, he may be scared of more cards than you, if, for instance, he has a worse pocket pair. And if he's checkraising a draw, he may check the turn if a "safe" card falls, as that safe card didn't improve him and wasn't what he wanted to see.

On the river, I think you should bet, especially closing the action. I'd prefer if something like the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] had fallen instead, but I still think you have a value bet.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

why in the world did I just call the raise on the flop?????

[ QUOTE ]

Really?

I'm wondering why you didn't 3-bet the flop. I'd still be the river. No one has shown that a Ko will help them.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's what he meant, that he just called rather than raise. I'd raise and then bet the river - the king might have hurt you but there's no reason to assume it did.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:23 PM

When they all check to you on the river, you should definitely bet. Don't you think your hand will be good more than 55% of the time when you are called? It doesn't even have to be that high because often two worse hands will call.