Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: The ultimate format for a holdem tournament for experienced player

[ QUOTE ]
So you can't protect against draws but they can pump the pot when the draws hit? This structure makes no sense. You can't allow for cheap drawing but make showdowns really expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? This forces people to mix things up, by playing their hands more deceptively. Interesting situations in poker arise when a player is forced into making a tough decision later in a hand. This format promotes those situations.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the main reasons limit poker works is because you can draw cheaply but the implied odds are limited. In NL, OTOH, pot manipulation is where it's at. This structure destroys the best qualities of both games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can still manipulate the pot using this structure, and if you play well and make good laydowns you reduce the implied odds of opponents drawing against you. I don't think this structure destroys any qualities of limit or no limit it simply brings out the best of both games.

If you throw any kind of limitations on bet size in poker, it is those who adjust best to the limitations who will win.
This format will break new ground in promoting good decision making rather then the coin flipping of the allin game in NL and the "easy call on the river cause I am getting 15-1" in limit.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: The ultimate format for a holdem tournament for experienced player

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there's a reason why you should be able to overbet pre-flop. it's to make this a game of skill. playing a capped pot with 45s can't really be a mistake if you're risking very few chips preflop to stack someone off later.

your structure most definitely will increase action; i'm not sure that's the same thing as making it the "ultimate" structure for experienced players.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right that having the ability to overbet preflop brings an element of skill into the game. Unfortunately when all your buddies are skillful and disciplined at that part of the game, No limit becomes dull and is reduced to a 2 card game, (unless you have time to run a long tournament with deep stacks).

This is why I think this structure is great for home games, where you aren't necessarily looking for the structure that maximizes profit as much as the one that maximizes decision making and action. This game is very skillful though because of the increased decisions to be made on all streets and the implied odds that drawing hands get that you brought up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you're saying, you do get to make more decisions, but my guess would be those decisions would be a lot easier. Any OESD or flush draw would be almost automatic calls on the flop and turn since you would be getting at least 3:1 pot odds and huge implied odds. Bluffing would be much more difficult early on. In NLHE, there are no easy decisions. I've never tried your system, so I don't know for sure, but it seems like the best strategy would be just to be always be on a draw. As someone mentioned before, it would play a lot like limit, but reward drawing and make the pots huge. It seems like the tournament would always come down to big pair (or even trips) vs draw. It would always go down to the river, so a huge part of both players stacks would be in the pot, so whoever gets lucky on the river wins the tournament.

Maybe a way to make an NLHE tourney more enjoyable would be to slow down the blinds towards the end of the tournament. It probably wouldn't increase the time to much, but would allow for more skillful play at the end, rather than a bunch of all-ins. And, not to sound like a prick (because I'm no master poker player anything, I'm sure you guys are probably better than me), rather than change the game, maybe you should just try to get better. If I'm understanding you correctly, if you and your friends play a similar style, then figure out a way to beat 'em. I think it would be awesome to have a bunch of friends who were really good at NLHE, because then you could really improve each other's games and talk to each other about strategy. Don't know, just my thoughts.