Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Sports Betting Stories

Just curious if anyone has any tales of increible runs or horrible luck they wanted to share. Maybe there is even a site that has some of these? I've only been betting for about 4 months and would love to be inspired or hear cautionary tales. Take care, Heinz57
Old 05-12-2005, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Sports Betting Stories

Well let's see I'm not sure if I'm a masocist (sp?) but I only seem to remember my horror stories.

1) Lost 11 consecutive games at one point last year.

2) Yesterday I lost just over 7 (4 wins 11 losses) units on some of the most amazing things that can happen. Had the Under 9.5 in Bos/Oak (we know how that turned out) as one of them.

But today is a new day and I've been around too long to dwell on things like that.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:36 PM

My worst experience thus far was falling in love (I know a big no no remain unattached) with the Houston Rockets. I watched the first game without betting and figured if they could win with a horrible performance from Yao they were a nice bet in game two Yes! Unfortunately, I thought they were a no brainer at home, Doh! and Doh! Liked them where they won their first two in DAL for game 5 Doh! Then had enough really believed Dallas had their number and switched betting against them in game 6 Doh! Reverted back to backing them in game seven in time for another Doh! experience. This experience convinced me to become a strict unit based bettor as I loaded up towards the end losing more...Lesson learned [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 07:15 PM

I'm not sure of the exact details, but I believe that there was a Redskins/Bears game several years ago that I bet like $300 on under 33. (Was in college at the time, so a bet like that meant the world!) Anyways...I believe the score was 19-13 with less than a minute to go. Washington has the ball on their own 3 when 4th down comes up...wouldn't you know it, but the ol' "free safety" comes into effect just so Washington could get some extra room to kickoff with. Final score: Washington 19, Chicago 15. Goes over by a point. For some reason, I'll never forget that beat...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:20 PM

Reminds me of the 2000 (I think) NFC Championship game. Vikes giving 3 to the Giants and the O/U at 41 1/2. I take the whole bankroll and put it on a parlay of Giants +3 and over 41 1/2.

Halftime, Giants up 41-0. I order the Maserati.

Daluiso hits the upright on a FG on the 1st drive of the 2nd half. Not a problem sez I.

The Vikes proceed to lay down. Not even try. An absolute disgrace. They let the Giants hold the ball for the last 10 minutes of the game.

Final score: Giants 41, Vikes 0.

A man named "Knucks" pays me a visit.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:39 PM

Another bad beat story.

This time I was back in college. It was an NHL game and I don't remember the 2 teams but I had a big dog getting a puck and a half. As the story goes my team is down a goal with 3 seconds left and the puck's in the other end. Needless to say the enemy tries to ice the puck to end the game. The time runs out when the puck is at the near face-off circle. The puck continues to go into the net and they COUNT THE GOAL. I couldn't believe it. The refs just skate off the ice and I'm sitting there staring at the screen for the next 10 minutes not believing what I just saw.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:39 PM

Everyone remembers their bad beats but I remeber my good fortune.

In 1989?? Edmonton/Boston NHL Final series. O/U of 6.5. I have the under. Game tied at 3 in the 2nd period and the Old Boston Garden loses power. Car rammed into a transformer and they cancelled the game. No bet!!!

BYU/Penn St Holiday bowl in 1986/87. Have PennSt -3.5. BYU scores with 40 seconds left to cut the score to two. Go for 2 point conversion. Penn State intercepts the conversion and returns it for a 2 pt score. (they also returned a fumble in the last 20 seconds to make the final score 11.

ASU/USC when Jake Plummer was QB at ASU. ASU giving 12. Game goes to OT. ASU scores 7, USC throws an interception that gets returned for a touchdown. 13 point final. Good times.

Tennessee/Buffalo. Have Tenn giving 4.5. Buffalo scores to go up 2 with approx 4 secs left in the game. Tennessee runs a trick play on kickoff (Wychek lateral across the field to Dyson) returned for a touchdown. Another easy winner [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2005, 10:01 PM

If we're going to talk about good fortune ...

I had the under in the Indiana/Detroit brawl game. It looked like it would be an over ... until they called the game after the brawl. Winner. I took the under considering the possibility that the game might get called early.

Right.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:11 PM

A good fortune one would be last baseball season I believe it was Texas at home. The total was 9.5 and I had the under. Texas scores 9 in the 1st inning and that would be all of the scoring done in that game.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:07 AM

Had to check the ol' spreadsheet for this one...
No story behind it, but lost 25 of 28 bets in late December and early January. Surely the sports betting equivalent of a 300bb downswing.