Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Call or Fold?
Call 2 28.57%
Fold 5 71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2005, 01:14 PM

Default Is it ok to goad a bad player?

Last night I was at a 5-10 6max table and there were two LAGs.
One could play well post flop, the other couldn't.
They both had stats about 65/25.
The good post flop LAG player would continuously mock the poor player for playing junk hands, say Q4s in a raised pot by showing down a good hand, then in the very next pot HU between the same two players he would bluff the bad lag out of a pot.... then flip K5o and mock him some more.. call him retard etc.
The bad player's comments were usually mostly F U and F U loser..
I made my usual comments ..
dont tap the glass, but the the good lag ignored it and keep Mocking the bad lag.. hey your paying my rent this month retard.. etc.
They both played normally vs. the rest of the table not attempting nearly as many bluffs and respecting other players raises by mostly calling, but not capping as they frequently did vs. each other.
Well eventually the good lag left and the bad lag played on untill he was down to about 5BB (70BB in buy ins) and then left too. Twice previously when he had busted out the good lag mouthed him off .. ie.
so long sucker, anytime you feel like payin my rent you can come back etc. and it seemed to work and the bad lag reloaded and kept coming.
Anyhow since the good lag and his big mouth had left, the bad lag didn't feel the need to lose any more money and left.

Q. If you know for sure that mocking a bad player will keep him coming (by coming i mean overplaying bad hands and re-buying in), and NOT drive him away, would you do it?!?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Is it ok to goad a bad player?

Depends . . . on whether I'm feeling like a [censored] or not.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Is it ok to goad a bad player?

I tend not to goad players. If I wanted to keep the guy around, I may bully him out of an occasional pot and show crappy starters, but the whole verbal thing, in my mind, just isn't necessary.

Now, if the bad player were also very vocal and generally acting like an ass, well, that's something different. He deserves what he gets.