Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 06:34 AM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Challenge To BLARG

Instead of being a friggin' troll and blasting everyones suggestions, why not provide your own?

If you're going to reply to other posters in this thread with "that's stoopid. You're a loser and give terrible advice" then please feel free to actually step up to the plate.

You can put down everyones advice all you want, but I don't see a full system spec that you're recommending so we can all tear it apart.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: Pick out components of my next POKER computer get $25

Are you sure this sweet machine isn't gonna go to waste?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:53 PM

THE zero cool?!
Old 05-12-2005, 02:34 PM

1507 computers in one crash.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:56 PM

NH.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:59 PM

Blarg, haven't you learned? Arguing over forums is pointless.

(PS Don't get RAID, you don't need it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])
Old 05-13-2005, 07:05 PM

This is in no means a post that is suggesting a computer for the OP, but I am trying to build a new computer for myself and would like to springboard off this thread and get all of your insights on my system.

Keep in mind I have never made a computer and some of what you will read will probably sound stupid and not make sense, and that is why I am asking for your help. This is a complete noob trying to build a computer. Help me out!!

CASE:
APEX SK337-A (350W Power Supply)

The reviewer said it was lightweight, cool, quiet, but a little flimsy. I'm not going to be doing much with my case, it will just be sitting there, so why not go with the econo-buy?

Antec Performance Series (400W Power Supply)

This, described earlier as the "G35" looks nice, but one reviewer says it is too loud. A couple of the reviewers also note this case as being too heavy. Is it worth getting this one over the previous one for the extra money?

MOTHERBOARD:
ASUS P5P800 ATX Intel Motherboard

I picked this one because it will fit with my processor that I found (they both have the same socket number). It had great reviews on newegg.

PROCESSOR:
intel Pentium 4 530J Prescott

I found this CPU on pricewatch.com and it seemed to be a pretty good deal. I do not need anything that is too cutting edge, but I would like to have Intel over AMD because I have heard that Intel is better for multi-tasking and I will be playing a lot more poker than gaming (although there will be gaming). I think that this CPU will fit well with the motherboard.

VIDEO CARDS:

The first thing I need with the video cards will be to have 2 DVI ports for my 2 2001FP's. On my current video card I only have a VGA port and have my single 2001FP on that right now. I have heard that DVI will improve the image by a LOT so I would definately like to have that. My question: Is it a necessity to have 2 DVI ports or will it be fine to run 1 DVI and 1 VGA, or will there be a very noticable difference?

XFX Geforce 6800 128MB

I think that this video card will suit my need for the 2 DVI ports and the reviews say it is great for gaming, but certainly not top-of-the-line, which seems good for me. I do not need a rediculous card, but I would like to have one that will play CS:Source and possibly World of Warcraft.

ATI RADEON X700 PRO 256MB

I put this one in because it is a radeon and the other is a geforce. I do not know the exact difference between the two, or which is better, but both the cards are about the same price. I do not know if this card has 2 DVI ports, or just a DVI and a VGA. Under the spec's section on ATI's website it has "Dual Montior Display" as "DVI-I/VGA", and I assume that means not 2 DVI ports, but one DVI and 1 VGA.

MEMORY:
crucial 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

I picked this because I have crucial memory on my computer right now, and it is the only brand that I have head of. The price seems pretty reasonable, too. I want to get 1 of these for a total of 1GB RAM, which I think will be enough for some 12-tabling.

OTHER:

I do not know if I am going to need thermal compound, so please advise me if I would need it. I left out a lot of the other categories, because I do not need a new hard drive, keyboard, mouse, etc.

Basically this comes down to the question: Will this system work?

Will all the parts work cooperatively with the other parts? Lastly, if you see any blatant, rediculous parts that I have there that I am either overpaying for an inferior product, or any suggestions at all, please let me know. I do not care about saving a couple of dollars to get no-name equipment. I would rather just get everything that I know will work well.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds to this.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:07 PM

Please delete my post above if you can. I am sorry for hijacking this thread. To make up for it, I will bump your thread.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:19 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Was A Decision Ever Made? Was $25 Ever Awarded??

Haven't seen any updates from the OP, what's the scoop?