Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Where to go $52 BR/Interpoker Q\'s/Beginner Querys

I can tell by listening to you that you really don't know how to play this game... The tone of your messages are almost annoying.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Poker stars visuals are UGLY!

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn right there. Playing last night with someone on the table with a real pug ugly looking baby up as their avatar. Very offputting...

And Chex. Just a word mate. This is the Beginners forum. Most people are here to try to learn something and more than a few of the more senior 2+2'ers spend time here trying to help us newbies out. They post useful comments and I for one would like to pass on my thanks to those guys.

Your comments, however do not add anything at all. Either post something usefull or shut the fcuk up.

And
Old 05-11-2005, 10:59 PM

I recommend the following bankroll building strategy:

-Play the .25 limit until you have $300
-Play the .25/.50 limit until you have $600
-Do the initial deposit/epassport/igmpay bonuses on party and skins.
-Move down in limits when you hit 300BB for the limit you are at. Move down to .25/.50 if your bankroll hits $300 at .50/1.

You have some learning you need to do about the game. This plan affords you a very risk-averse strategy for building your bankroll while giving you plenty of opportunity to play and fix leaks. This is the strategy that has gotten me from my initial deposit of $50 to a self-sustaining bankroll. You'll have the chance to pick up some of the required reading and pokertracker because your roll is going to be big for the limit you are playing. You'll also learn alot about discipline and patience.

Sites: Doesn't matter, but the Prima skins are pretty active at the nano-limits.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:12 PM

I just wanted to add, regarding books.

You'll want to pick up "Getting Started in Hold'em", mabye, and then you'll really want to get "Small Stakes Hold'em" (SSHE). Both are 2+2 books. If "Getting Started in Holdem" is too basic, then go with "Winning low-limit Holdem" by Lee Jones.

After you have worn out your copy of SSHE then pick up "Theory of Poker", another 2+2 book (there's a trend here).

A low-limit holdem player really doesn't need anything other than SSHE and TOP to be successful.

Add more books as interests and bankroll permit. The 2+2 books that I have read are far and away superior manuals than comprable products.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:20 AM

So is SSH a must buy for everyone?

I own Internet Texas Hold'em and HEFAP(Hold'em for advanced player).

ITH just seems to teach "Tight" play, Which to be fair has made me win, But i still feel very new.

Ill go buy SSH then and work on my game whilst moving up.

Thanks everyone,
Well.. Chex obviously entered the wrong forum section.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:23 AM

I would consider SSHE a "must" purchase if you're going to buy any books, but it may be too advanced to start out with. Don't take any offense when I say too advanced - this really is not a beginners book. I built my bankroll and did a lot of learning before I tried to use anything from SSHE. When I first started trying to apply some of its concepts I got burned. It's advice is high profit, but high variance and many of the moves will show a significant loss if you do not play very well post-flop. It took me a while to "get it" and I still don't think I apply a good chunk of it consistently well.

Essentially, SSHE is for a winning small stakes player who wants to win MORE. If you're still trying just to win, you may be better off with GSiH or WLLH. I haven't read ITH to know if it is any good or not.

PS - Ignore flames and non-constructive criticism. It is good practice for playing at the table where you should ignore it as well.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:47 AM

ITH is a good book and is more aggressive than WLLH, but SSHE beats all of them regardless.

the original Sklansky "Hold Em Poker" couldn't hurt either, if you can grab a copy inexpensively.