Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Playing weak tight after check raising.

Only played a few hands, so no reads on players. Table seemed weak tight, with raises from any position taking the blinds. I, accordingly, played this weak tight.

Preflop: Hero is BB with AsTs
UTG calls, 3 folds, MP3 raises, 3 folds, Hero calls, UTG calls,

Flop: (6 1/2 SB) Th 8h 4d (3 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP3 bets, Hero raises, UTG calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (5 ¼ BB) 9c (2 players)
Hero bets, UTG raises, Hero calls.

River: (9 ¼ BB) 8s (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero folds.

Seems like I should have either folded the turn or called the river, as the call-check-fold does nothing but lose a bet for me, but folding on the turn seemed so weak, and it seemed so obvious I was beat on the river. I guess the turn raise could have been a semi-bluff with the flush draw, but that seems like an odd play against a check-raiser. Just seems like he had to have either made his straight or two pair (or boat on the river).
Old 05-11-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Playing weak tight after check raising.

Yes, I think you should have either folded to the turn raise or called the river.

I especially can't see folding the river here. There's a really good chance that villian made two pair on the turn and got counterfeited on the river. He didn't raise PF so he doesn't likely have an overpair and it's also not likely that the turn 9 made a straight since it filled the inside.

The way he played this hand, I would put him either on suited connectors (98, T9), or a slowplayed set. You're certainly good more than 9% of the time here.

FWIW, without a read, I don't think you should fold to the turn raise either.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:49 PM

Yes, but both T9 & 98 beat me. If he made two pair on the turn, it's either T's & 9's which beat my T's & 8's, or he made 3 8's on the river. How can I possibly beat anything but a pure bluff?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Since you say table plays weaktight, I could see my self folding to this turn raise.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:00 PM

I'd like to think I have it in me to fold to the turn raise. If the tables tight, yeah foldings the best.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:28 PM

I usually think wrong plays made simply for table image are worthless at a smaller stakes table, but I also thought that if I laid down to one bet on the turn after check-raising, I wouldn't be able to protect my hand on subsequent hands because people will think my raises are BS and that I can be bullied. I'd have check-called the river and expected to lose if the 8 hadn't paired, but after that I thought I went from drawing slim to drawing dead.