Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Should I accept this all-in? - WARNING this is what happened.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you were doomed to lose, but your river play still bugs me. If you thought that river bet could have been a "please pay me off" bet, then you shoul have just called. Any time you raise, you should ask yourself how you will handle a move over-the-top and keep that in mind. I'm not saying that I always follow this advice, but it's a good idea nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really have a problem with the river bet. There's no way I'm folding here, so that's not an issue.

The big stack is betting like he has a piece of this board. The OP made a value bet that the big stack will pay off if he has anything.

You are ahead the vast majority of the time, so I wouldn't just call and let him off cheaply. I might've raised a bit more than the min, but it wouldn't be with the intention of folding if re-raised.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Should I accept this all-in?

Folding a straight here would be bad enough to make you buy a dress with the money you 'won'. That's a godawful lot of Sklansky bucks.

Don't worry about it.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I might've raised a bit more than the min, but it wouldn't be with the intention of folding if re-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree that it was all or nothing here. If you were really scared of a boat, call it and either win a small pot or lose a small pot. If you're prepared to go all the way, force the issue with a solid raise.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I might've raised a bit more than the min, but it wouldn't be with the intention of folding if re-raised.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree that it was all or nothing here. If you were really scared of a boat, call it and either win a small pot or lose a small pot. If you're prepared to go all the way, force the issue with a solid raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are raising for value here. You want to be called by hands worse than yours, so you don't want to raise big and make him fold hands like J8 or A7.

I like to raise a bit more then minimum in these spots, but the min raise was fine, IMO.