Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Always raise pocket pairs?

It depends. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I used to raise pretty much every pp, especially from position. Most flops were heads up.
1) you continue on the flop, a bet takes the pot.
2) you hit a set, win a small pot
3) you end up in a difficult situation after failed steal attempt on flop, e.g. 2nd pair, small overpair, ins. str. draw,...

3) will cost you money in the long run, I think.

The main value by far of pps is their set potential. Odds are 7,5:1 against, you wanna get at least that from your sets (on average). So for me, the idea is to get to the set as cheaply as possible. I dont raise many pps (lower than QQ) preflop anymore. I try to hit a set cheap and break someone.

I also think, if you raise, you will eliminate hands that might pay you off. Raises will generally be called by somewhat stronger hands, which also dont hit that often or are naturally afraid of monsters. Example might be AQ, A high flop, AQ might play very cautiously fearing AK. In an unraised pot, AQ will be all over the place.

Sorry for the rambling, I find it hard to organize my thoughts today....
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Greets, Erd.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:35 AM

Players won't risk as much post flop against your trips in this game if there isn't already a pot. Raising preflop makes post flop bets look like steals when 2/4/7 rainbow hits and you're on a set. With these deeper stacks(~150bb)you can dick around and lose a little more to win a lot more.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:21 AM

Good point, haven't thought about it that way. But sounds like this applies to higher limits only. I currently play 3-6 or 5-10 NL...doing ok with not raising pps very often...

Erd.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:26 AM

It's a personal choice that should be made on your play style, stack sizes, but not game level(imo). If you're a LAG, or if you just want to throw a little variety into your game as a tag(though opponents will be more likely to believe you) I suggest this as a play. It's best if stack sizes are larger so that you'll be paid in full for the times in which it does not pay off.
Also, keep in mind that not hitting trips is only one possible scenario for the pp raise. Low flops give equity to any pair(like 66 on a 247 rainbow), ESPECIALLY if you raised preflop to get out the limpers with small suited connectors.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Players won't risk as much post flop against your trips in this game if there isn't already a pot. Raising preflop makes post flop bets look like steals when 2/4/7 rainbow hits and you're on a set. With these deeper stacks(~150bb)you can dick around and lose a little more to win a lot more.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice post. pretty much sums it up.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:28 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Almost like I know what I'm talking about sometimes...
Sometimes.....
Old 05-11-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Greets, Erd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this much better than "always" and "never". In addition to making money I think an important consideration is to sow confusion in the minds of your opponents.