Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: favorite bands and their best 3 solos

One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!!!
Old 05-10-2005, 11:12 PM

I don't know how you can mention two songs from Delicate Sound of Thunder and not have one of them be Comfortably Numb. That is probably the best solo I've ever heard. It kicks the crap out of the one on Pulse. NH on mentioning Thank You from BBC Sessions though...awesome
Old 05-11-2005, 01:36 AM

i hate buckethead.i haven't actually heard any of his stuff, but still, i hate him, for the sheer cheek of stealing slash's spot. and then (i hear) not doing a very good job of it! the fool! it's like sacralidge. not much of a challenge to the mighty slash though. ok, here are my favourite guitar solo's (in no order)

slash- g n r -sweet child of mine
joe perry- aerosmith -dude looks like a lady
that guy from deep purple -deep purple -lazy
mark knopfer- dire straits -sultans of swing
slash at the 1995 MTV music awards with micheal jackson, where he goes on for ages, and MJ gets a security guard, who slash tells to go away in his solo, it's awesome IF ANYONE COULD GET HOLD OF THIS FOOTAGE, TELL ME WHERE PLEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!

yeah, slash rulz.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
joe perry- aerosmith -

[/ QUOTE ]

Train Kept Rollin'
Old 05-11-2005, 02:35 AM

so i guess you already have a mullet?
Old 05-11-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Listen to "Mood for the day" sometime. It is all Alex, all accoustic and is one of my favorites solo instrumentals of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you are confusing this with the instrumental "Mood for a Day" on the album Fragile by Yes, guitar played by Steve Howe.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Listen to "Mood for the day" sometime. It is all Alex, all accoustic and is one of my favorites solo instrumentals of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure you are confusing this with the instrumental "Mood for a Day" on the album Fragile by Yes, guitar played by Steve Howe.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, exactely right...What was the damn Lifeson solo I was thinking of???? Crap, now it's going to drive me nuts...

Sad part is...I saw Howe play that life too and forgot...
Old 05-11-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL, exactely right...What was the damn Lifeson solo I was thinking of???? Crap, now it's going to drive me nuts...

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Hmm, you thinking of "Broon's Bane"? That's a pretty good one from one of Rush's live albums, don't know which one though.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:59 AM

All the best solos are always live. Only some of them have been released.

Some old school choices for the young (I am learning about some new school ones from y'all).

A lot of people are mentioning Cortez the Killer by Built to Spill. I have not heard this. But I can say any Neil Young/Crazy horse live is gonna have awesome raw guitar work.

Speaking of Neil. This is a bit archaic, but on the CSN&Y live album "Four Way Street", the song "Southern Man" has some of the best R&R guitar work ever. There is a guitar duet btw. Neil and Stills that lasts about 8 that is total angry dialogue. Just trading solos which are just angry remarks. PErfect collaboration, not just one wanker playin' fast to a rythem section.

No wonder Skynard didn't need them around.

The guitar and Piano work on the song "Kitty's Back" from Springsteen's '73 and '74 tours is unbeleivable. I especially reccomend a "My father's Place" show from '73. Savy downloaders should be able to find it. Just sick and raw.

Down load a live copy of "Scarlet Begonias" and "Fire on the Mountain" played consecutively by the Grateful Dead Just about any performance is gonna be top ten. I particularly like the one from Hapton '86.

If this is not exclusively about Rock and Roll, you might want to check out the Tony Rice Album "Manzanita". It has almost the whos who of high octane bluegrass masters. All solos are stellar and high energy. David Grismon, Tony Rice, Sam Bush, Ricky Skaggs, MArk O'Connor--it's sick. The title track is my nomination. Most Bluegrass, BTW, is about solos.

PT
Old 05-11-2005, 04:12 AM

Steve Howe is amazing, but the best solos from Yes are courtesy of Rick Wakeman. I was blown away the first time I heard the keyboard solo 15 minutes into Close to the Edge.

..He's still second to Keith Emerson, though...