Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2005, 02:02 AM

Default Single Blind Best strategy ?

Hi All,
What would be the best strategy for the following game played at my local cardroom.
Limit TH 4/8
One Blind $4
Rake $3 + $1(jackpot) dragged from the pot.
Average # Players seeing a flop 5-6, including raised 1xBB.
Most players are weak, Playing any suited cards, any Ax or Kx from any position, any pair from any position. Not a lot of 3 or 4 betting preflop.

To me it seems that playing very tight is the correct strategy, although that could mean playing only 1 or 2 hands an hour.

I have played the game 5 or 6 times and I am way behind. Including two sessions with $200 buy-ins each, I only won 2 hands, one of those sessions not winning a single hand. I just completed a 5 hour session losing $300, and as usual was sucked out most hands when way ahead, including opponents hitting multiple runner runner suckouts. Further they were raising into me when they were a 22 or 14 to 1 dog with 1 card to come.

Also what is the correct strategy of raising preflop with med pairs and suited (A + 2-9)?
It seems raising with med pairs is a waste, unless in late position and no limpers ahead in the pot.
What about raising with JJ, TT, 99, from mid position, if limpers came in from early position. Isolation play is almost impossible unless a tight player is in blinds, and even then most have no problem calling for half price.

Playing 4/8 with 2 blinds a $2 sm blind, and $4 Big Blind, same action 5+ players, but at different card room, I am way ahead of that game, playing fairly tight.

I regulary beat 6/12, 9/18, 15/30, but I seem to really struggle with this 4/8 game. The bigger games are not offered at this one blind 4/8 cardroom, and it is only 5 min. from my house. In addition, I have no problem going in two or even 3 racks in the bigger games, I am confident I can dig out a win or close to even session if I stay long enough. But that hasn't been the case at this 4/8 game. I usually try to sit in with 20 to 25 big bets, and am willing to rebuy same, but due to my failure to beat this game, I am reluctant to go in more than $200 for this game.
Hope some who are really successful at this limit can help.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Single Blind Best strategy ?

i think you want to loosen up a bit

play hands that draw well. since you will most often have correct odds to draw on will win fairly big when you do. and remember that games that are looser as this one seems to be are much higher variance