Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 12:55 PM

Default What would you do as the button here?

Cheap online Party tournament. Blinds are 400/800. I'm UTG. I have 19k and change, and a tight aggressive image. I steal once an orbit, and one orbit ago I showed down KK cheaply when an ace turned vs JJ. MP2 has 11k and is still alive because he called a preflop raise with A5o, and called the rest of his chips on a board of 24Q. Hit his wheel against a set of Queens, LOL. Button has me covered with just over 24k chips, and I have not seen him get out of line.

I call from UTG. MP2 calls, button raises to 1600 with AJ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], blinds fold, me and MP2 call. 3 to the flop with 6k pot.

Flop is J83r. I check, MP2 bets 800, Button calls, I call. 3 to the turn with 8.4k pot.

Turn is 6, putting two hearts on board. I check, MP2 bets 800, Button raises to 6k, I call, MP2 calls (leaving himself only 2.6k left...). 3 to river with 26.4k pot.

River is J, no flush on board. I push about 10k, MP2 calls allin... What do you do as the button, and why? Nice to hear what you put me and MP2 on as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Results and my thoughts while playing this hand later.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: What would you do as the button here?

hmmm,good one,if i'm the button i'm thinking the player check calling has either trips,or a open ended str8 draw,with 9-10,most likely suited,the player betting out would seem to have a smaller pair then jacks,or maybe even qq,but tt or 99,77 seems more likely,maybe a8 also,and there's a slight chance someone else also holds a jack.
if i'm the button i suspect the check caller has missed and is bluffing,maybe had str8 and flush draw,or has hit a full house,then i'm about to lose a big pot.
feels like the mp2 has a pocket pair,hard to say which one,if it's aa,kk,qq,he should have reraised preflop,but he's playing it postflop like he may have an overpair,or mid pair and not fearing the j,when the 2nd j hits the river it would appear most likely that no one had the j after all,and calling with a pp higher then 8's seems like a reasonable call for mp2.
if i'm the button,i certainly call the all ins and fear 8's,3's and 6's,but certainly can't get away from the chance to win such a huge pot!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cheap online Party tournament. Blinds are 400/800. I'm UTG. I have 19k and change, and a tight aggressive image. I steal once an orbit, and one orbit ago I showed down KK cheaply when an ace turned vs JJ. MP2 has 11k and is still alive because he called a preflop raise with A5o, and called the rest of his chips on a board of 24Q. Hit his wheel against a set of Queens, LOL. Button has me covered with just over 24k chips, and I have not seen him get out of line.

I call from UTG. MP2 calls, button raises to 1600 with AJ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], blinds fold, me and MP2 call. 3 to the flop with 6k pot.

Flop is J83r. I check, MP2 bets 800, Button calls, I call. 3 to the turn with 8.4k pot.

Turn is 6, putting two hearts on board. I check, MP2 bets 800, Button raises to 6k, I call, MP2 calls (leaving himself only 2.6k left...). 3 to river with 26.4k pot.

River is J, no flush on board. I push about 10k, MP2 calls allin... What do you do as the button, and why? Nice to hear what you put me and MP2 on as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Results and my thoughts while playing this hand later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... not much interest. I thought this was interesting because the button has two allins in front of him with trip Jacks with top kicker, but I really can't see how he could call here. ONE person probably has a Jack, but the other can't be allin here without being able to beat trip Jacks.

So, as the Button I would have to fold this. I showed 88 for 8s full, and MP2 shows J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] for trip Jacks losing kicker. Obviously, Button made the call with his A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and lost.

I felt that Button had an overpair or two overcards here, and I didn't want to lose him on the flop by betting out or checkraising. When MP2 bets, I'm sure he has a Jack and the call by Button made me sure he had two overs but not a pocket pair. So from this point I thought I'd give them some rope and let them hang themselves.

On the turn, when button makes the big raise I change my thoughts to either a set of 6s or A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I think about pushing but I don't think I'll push him off if he has the nut flush draw and top pair top kicker, so I will wait until the river to see if a heart hits the board. I'm happy to see that MP2 isn't folding, but don't understand why he didn't just push the rest of his chips in. With under 3k left in that big pot, you gotta fold or go all in.

Anyway, the river Jack assures me that MP2 will put the rest of his chips in. However, if Button had a flush draw with no Jack, he will either fold to a bet or check it through if it gets checked. Further, after making a call to the big bet on the turn, he has to know that both myself and MP2 have something. I don't see him calling an allin checkraise unless he's got the 66, in which case he will be the one pushing... So I push it here as it may look like a busted hand trying to buy the large pot, sure that MP2 will call, and hoping Button has the 66 and calls, as I don't see him calling two allins with the AJ. I was wrong, and very very happy about it

I thought this was a very interesting hand from Button's point of view...
Old 05-09-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have 19k and change, and a tight aggressive image. I steal once an orbit

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I see how your image can be tight if you are really "stealing" once per orbit. If stealing once per orbit is tight, then you could have a table full of "tight" players with a steal attempt on every hand, which isn't even possible.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:53 PM

if you're only putting in $ voluntarily 10% of hands, that's pretty tight.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:17 PM

He said "steal" once per orbit, not enter the pot once per orbit.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:58 PM

very odd hand,guy with top pair is check calling,guy with trips is betting out,and guy with tptk isn't raising on the flop,i'd have been confused in all 3 positions!
i still think i'd have called the 2 all ins being the button,especially in a low buy in tourney! i'd have expected the check caller to flip over the full house not the bettor,but still a reasonable gamble to tripple up,and put yourself in a great position to make the final table.