Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Evenkeal\'s play, questionable?

In fact based on the information you have given here, I have found a surefire way you would be paid off if you were the one with the straight.

You would bet pot with your straight. Your opponent will come over the top nearly every time. You call. You win.

Damn, these things are easy.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:26 PM

I haven't read the responses, probably repeating what people said, but....

The second hand is very standard. There are 9 people left, yes, but he only has 5 big blinds. He is not in good position and will likely be called, but will likely be a small favorite. I think most people here would make this push.

The first play, he made a semi-bluff and unfortunately for him, someone made a strong hand. With his call preflop and raise on the turn and a board with several draws, it would be very easy to put him on an overpair thus top pair or a small overpair or a draw would likely fold. If they didn't he had a some outs. As he has said, he likes to establish his presence early and this would also do that, if it had worked.

In both cases he ran up against people who had hands that could not be folded. Those are the breaks.

Your take about AA-QQ is really really far off in the second hand.

Maybe this is just a joke account, I don't know, but if it is a real account and you are a real person, you should try to not be such a jerk to anyone.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:27 PM

yeah i really don't see much that's OVERLY debateable about these hands

hand 2- completley standard. what's he going to do, eat 150 in the next 2 hands, have the blinds jump and have 2 bb?

hand 1- he can't pot it and get reraised, the only thing i think that would have been better is a larger reraise on the flop, a check/min reraise i don't think establishes too much strength.

therein lies the problem. What if you check/reraised to 100. I'm pretty sure the crap gutty draw would have dropped then and the result would have been different. if you get rr'd after you're rr....then you have a tough situation on your hands.

pushing that turn is definitely alright, it looks like a complete brick (it wasn't) and probably added 4 outs to your hand. NF draw, + the gutty and possibly BOTH the ace and ten could be outs....

it's not too bad but i'm not sold on the min rr on the flop.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:32 PM

I don't mind taking a stab and failing. It probably works often enough for it to be both profitable chipwise and imagewise.

I do think Gigabet knows he and the others have other weapons in their arsenal than a push and that valuebetting has a place at this level. That was what I was objecting to, the oversimplification of strategy in this thread.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:49 PM

I'm not a guy who just says "That was a great play!" because it's a well known player, however, with that being said, I don't see anything terrible about either play.

First hand, he had the nut Flush draw, an inside straight draw, and likely some Aces as outs. The turn looked harmless, and he went in knowing that if everyone folded he'd pick up a decent pot, if he got called he had some outs... His opponent turned out to have out drawn him, and he missed his big draw... It's not the end of the world.

Second hand, very short stacked - pushes knowing he'll double up and have a chance or go out and win in another SNG...

At that level, you have to think with another mindset, judging by what others at that level say, it seemed like a regular play.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 PM

So basically what I'm gathering from these responses is that with the right amount of information and skill playing aggressive and forcing people to call all their chips away is the way to go. In hindsight I can think of plenty of situation where I've been re-raised when I bet 300 into a pot on a draw and have to fold.

One more question though. When you are re-raised all-in and you have a draw, what kind of a read do you have to have on the opponent to call?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:17 PM

Hand 2 is totally standard.

Hand 1...think about what this flop min-CR and the turn overbet looks like. If TT were to call anyway, the play would suck...but I don't think it does.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:12 PM

Here's what I don't get. I looked all over this thread and couldn't find any mention of the wee little min raise on the flop with the flush draw. That, more than the push on the turn is what I hate. The push is fine. But why the min raise on the flop?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's what I don't get. I looked all over this thread and couldn't find any mention of the wee little min raise on the flop with the flush draw. That, more than the push on the turn is what I hate. The push is fine. But why the min raise on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts as well. The second hand is very standard.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:01 AM

Based on Giga's reputation I call with 88+, any 2 pair, and obviously sets and straits if I am a regular 1065er. He seems to have a Gus Hansen thing going, a loose cannon (relative to normal SnG style) early game who people don't really want a part of unless they can get a chance to catch a big hand cheap. That is why I am loving the min raise on the flop if I am in this hand against him. A cheap chance to bust a guy who could theoretically have any 2 if I can catch.