Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: $500 Overbet Against Your TPTK

easy fold then - need to be right close to 50% and it doesn't sound like he will be.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:31 AM

hmm..i understand what your trying to articulate gomberg but I don't agree with that call into that size pot for 583. How have you been doing otherwise haven't played at your usual site in long time...PM me.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:05 AM

looks like AK. why would he ever do this with a 7 or QQ..KK or AA is also possible but AK or JJ seems more likely, and im leaning more towards call then fold.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:24 AM

a call here has to be player dependent but its possible against some opponents.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:40 PM

Yeah it could be AK.............but it's not. Rather, it's too expensive to find out if it is. It's just not worth it given no read and given that it's online and not live. Is it equally likely that it's AK vs AA/KK, AQ, 7x? Probably, if so, why risk 500? Diablo would hate this line of thinking, but you have only invested 16. You need a better read to put 500 in on a pair. I agree with other posters, AA/KK does this sometimes.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:29 PM

This was my hand. I checked with the intention to check-raise. I called because I have been playing with this loose cannon for an hour and watching him raise with mediocre hands and playing very aggresively. I have never seen him immediatly jam the pot though so when he instantly jammed I immediatly though weakness. Although I put in a lot of money to a small pot I believed I had a great read and the best hand. I was correct. Villian showed QKo and took down the pot on the river.

I understand some people on this forum hate this call, but I had faith in my read (which was correct) and unfortunately lost on the river.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:09 PM

You say your read was right, but it wasn't really, was it? YOu said that he has never jammed the pot when he has had a very good hand, but he did have a pretty good hand, and did bet it huge. Do you not think that if he did this here with QK he would easily do it with KK or AA or a 7 as well? Thats how I see it. I don't really think your read was right, but that you got pretty lucky that he had a hand that lost to you instead of one of the hands that beat you. (sucks that u lost on the river tho)
Old 05-10-2005, 06:20 PM

As I said before, I'm fine with the call given your read. I probably would have called as well. It takes a special player to overbet push w/ a great hand - and it doesn't sound like this guy was one of them. The bet makes no sense...
Old 05-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Can't prove that your call was right because it was ahead of his hand. It has to be ahead of his hand range.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 PM

What does that much of an overbet mean in this situation? Does it mean he is weak? has a pretty good holding? or has a monster?

Majority of pokerplayers would slowplay a 7 or QQ. If he had KK or AA I dont think he would jam because he would be semi-worried about the two sevens on board.

I thought very hard before calling this and I came to the conclusion that he was weak (TT or JJ).