Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Question for those with psychology backgrounds about poker addicts

what is is about poker that makes the thing so addictive to a certain type of person?

I discussed this with two friends and came up with the following, both of which i don't like:

1. the money aspect. The fact that someone can do something that normally would not involve the gain of money (like playing video games, solving puzzles etc.) and which would normally be a free-time activity and have a positive expectation makes poker so incredibly drawing for so many people.

2. the competition/respect aspect. 95% of people i play with or talk to i would not develop a friendship with. winning poker players are not otherwise socially successful people. I talk to them because i want to win money playing poker, not because i like them. these people do not, in general, succeed in the social realm, except sometimes through the accumulation of massive amounts of money, and are in general not so smart that they dominate the academic realm. they're usually the cut right below, those smart enough to succeed, but not be "successful." These people find an alternate rubric by which they can win, namely time spent obsessing over a game multiplied by innate intelligence gives them the score by which they like to judge themselves.

niether argument really fits as in the former case, people do the same with things like online video games and chess and in the latter there is a huge contingent of people who fit the description but are not drawn to poker at all as well as the fact that many very competitive, successful people are some of the worst, least enthusiastic players.

any thoughts?

fim
Old 05-09-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Question for those with psychology backgrounds about poker addicts

I relize that this is long, but I think it will be of help to your question, and it's pretty interesting.

I took a biopsychology class a couple quarters ago, and I intend on being a psychology major. My teacher said that a psychologist named DAMASIO (that's his last name you should look him up) has studied addiction. Basically, Damasio's theory is that the amygdala (a brain structure/region involved mostly in emotion) of drug and gambling addicts is abnormal.

A summary of Damasio's experiment was that he compared a group with brain damage (the experimental group) and a group without brain damage (the control group). He had four decks of cards lettered A, B, C, and D. In decks A and B there were rewards of $100 (fake money, and this was the only reward, no more no less in decks A and B). But approximately 10% of the time you'd lose $1250 fake money. In decks C and D there were rewards of $50 (fake money, and this was the only reward, no more no less in decks C and D). But approximately 10% of the time you'd lose $250 fake money. As you can see, it's better (in terms of EV) to select cards from decks C and D.

After letting both groups play this game for quite some time, an interesting thing happened. Both groups would start out picking cards more-or-less at random from decks A, B, C, and D. But after awhile the experimental group would start selecting mostly from decks A and B. And after awhile the control group would start selecting mostly from decks C and D.

Demasio's conclusion was that the experimental group (because of damage to the amygdala) would be less likely to remember/consider the "bad experience/feeling" of losing money. And that the control group would be more likely to remember/consider the "bad experience/feeling" of losing money. He also concluded that with drugs the addicted person is probably less likely to remember/consider the "bad experience/feeling" that happened as a result of drugs, but that the non-addicted person is probably more likely to remember/consider the "bad experience/feeling" that happened as a result of drugs.

Damasio does not claim to know, why these people's amygdala is abnormal. Because it's possible that it results from drug overuse or other things in the first place (which is basically just another question which falls under the nature-vs-nurture debate).
Old 05-10-2005, 01:39 AM

wait did you just call me dumb?
Old 05-10-2005, 02:30 AM

i've been thinking about this and i think the gambling aspect of poker and the chaos of it (2 outers all week!) gives us pleasure. We have many, sometimes repetitive decisions to make that have usually reliable outcomes. But, just because someone only has a 2 outer on the river doesn't mean he wont be catching it enough to surprise you. Likewise, just because you've never been caught hitting 80 on the freeway doesn't mean you wont be ticketed tomorrow. (we never talk about the times we sped and got somewhere 2 minutes faster, but we love retelling how some cop needed to fill his monthly ticket quota).

So lately I'm beginning to think that the unpredictability of cards combined with our learned ability to make the 'right' decision makes for a powerful lure. We're unlike maniacs, in that we favor being skilled and improving, but if you were a party poker employee and had the patterns down, the gambling aspect goes away, we rake in cash, and there's no bad beat story to tell, no impression left on us that the pokerworld is a chaotic thing. what I'm saying is we don't savor being dealt pocket aces, but we savor playing rockets the correct way.

So yes, we're all masochists! escaping life one hand at a time!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wait did you just call me dumb?

[/ QUOTE ]

hahahahahahahahaaha
Old 05-10-2005, 08:42 AM

Organized and ritualized activity that also provides unpredictability and excitement. Ability to be independent, making one's own decisons. Sadism and masochism. Manipulation and control.

p.s. cocaine addicts and gambling addicts have similar brain chemistry. Another way to look at the abcd decks is the gamblers/addicts seek out the 'highs and lows' cycles. Emotional stimulation (BOTH highs and lows), adrenaline rushes.

When the goal of winning money is more important people will go to c and d. It doesn't matter if the memory in the brain is sufficient to remember. The body does.

Rats, given a choice of hitting a lever to get food or a lever to get a hit of cocaine keep hitting the cocaine lever until they die lol.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:21 AM

I don't have a background in psychology, unless you count lots and lots of counseling.LOL..anyway, I find this post interesting for one reason, my own behavior. I have always excelled in everything I've ever done. Golf, shot a 73 when I was 13 years old. Basketball, started on Varsity team as a freshmen. Guitar, wrote, recorded songs, was highly sought after in my region as a studio musician. Tournamnet Bass fishing, went to state finals 3 years in a row, spent endless hours on the water. I set endless records in football, dominated a ping pong tournament at the age of 12. Now it's poker, my 1st X wife, which I'm living with right now as I go through a divorce with my 2nd wife, says I'm obsessed with poker, I don't see it, but I have always buried myself into whatever it was that peaked my interest at the time, and right now poker has my interest. I figure I will burnout on it, just like I burnout on everything that I do. I'm a winning player, small stakes, maybe up $1,000 over a year and half playing single table .50/1.00 limit. Now I've bumped up to $1/2, and am still winning. I guess I'm asking am I the typical type of personality that will get hooked? I don't bet on horses, or ballgames, or anything, I don't like gambling, I'm a tight ass who hates losing money, hence my poker game is pretty solid. Any idea's from you psych guys/gals would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a background in psychology, unless you count lots and lots of counseling.LOL..anyway, I find this post interesting for one reason, my own behavior. I have always excelled in everything I've ever done. Golf, shot a 73 when I was 13 years old. Basketball, started on Varsity team as a freshmen. Guitar, wrote, recorded songs, was highly sought after in my region as a studio musician. Tournamnet Bass fishing, went to state finals 3 years in a row, spent endless hours on the water. I set endless records in football, dominated a ping pong tournament at the age of 12. Now it's poker, my 1st X wife, which I'm living with right now as I go through a divorce with my 2nd wife, says I'm obsessed with poker, I don't see it, but I have always buried myself into whatever it was that peaked my interest at the time, and right now poker has my interest. I figure I will burnout on it, just like I burnout on everything that I do. I'm a winning player, small stakes, maybe up $1,000 over a year and half playing single table .50/1.00 limit. Now I've bumped up to $1/2, and am still winning. I guess I'm asking am I the typical type of personality that will get hooked? I don't bet on horses, or ballgames, or anything, I don't like gambling, I'm a tight ass who hates losing money, hence my poker game is pretty solid. Any idea's from you psych guys/gals would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Question: How many psychologists does it take to change a lightbulb?

Answer: Ony one, but the lightbulb has to want to change.

Do you (want to change, that is?)
Old 05-10-2005, 11:57 AM

No, I see nothing wrong with the way I live, I was just wondering if this type of behavior is classified as "something"??
Old 05-10-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I see nothing wrong with the way I live, I was just wondering if this type of behavior is classified as "something"??

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it's obsessive (welcome to the club lol). A lot depends on how it is impacting other area's of your life (strains on family and social relationships).

On the brighter side a psychiatrist named William Glasser has written a book called: Positive Addictions. He goes on about how star athletes practice obsessively, etc.