Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: Sleep

Hey letyoudown,

I have some f'ed up sleeping cycles as well. An example is this weekend, friday night i went to bed at 4am and woke up at 4:30 pm. I was like WTF? and then saturday i went to bed at 5 am and woke up at 8am. From 12 hours to 3 hours. i don't get it.

I just don't get tired towards the end of the night. And when i'm asleep it feels good and I don't want to wake up.

Basically, I can't offer you anything constructive other than the fact that I feel for ya.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:20 PM

Just start going to sleep at a reasonable time and make sure you get about 7 or 8 hours a night. Trust me, sleep is way more important than most people realize.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
see a doctor, don't ask for health advice on the 2+2 Forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats good advice, also start reading up on Sleep Deprivation (just do a "google search," check a reliable scholarly database, and/or read an introductory psychology textbook).
Old 05-09-2005, 11:50 PM

#1 thing to do: purchase melatonin.

its a sleeping pill that is a biological clock setter. its main purpose is for those that cannot stay on a schedule. ive taken it and it does help. i believe that its an overthecounter drug, but am not certain.

#2: exercise daily.

#3: quit smoking. but you already know that and its much harder to do than the first two.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't exactly seeking a clinical diagnosis or a prescription. I've seen enough doctors regarding this to realize it's not worth even a $5 co-pay to hear the same canned response again.

I obviously realize that diet/exercise are a big problem here, as well as smoking. It's just incredibly hard to motivate myself to get beyond the first step of simply trying to overcome it. I'll have the occaisional day where I'll intentionally eat well or force myself to exercise but it never lasts more than a day or two. I'm beginning to wonder if this problem is just a psychological problem that manifests itself physically.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't seem to want to listen to any of the advice you have received from health care professionals regarding your habits and lifestyle choices. Do you think you will receive more helpful advice from anonymous, college-aged kids?
Old 05-10-2005, 10:48 AM

It has nothing to do with not wanting to listen to them. The physicians I've seen have given me responses that were dismissive. They never seem to understand the severity, or how it affects me. For the second time, I'm not looking for a clinical diagnosis or any medical recommendations. I'm looking for tried and true advice...as I've received. Does the age of the person giving the recommendation really matter? I'm only curious what has worked for other people.

I do appreciate all of the responses. I'm going to attempt to eliminate sugar/caffeine, I've been meaning to do that for quite some time. I drink an enormous coffee every single morning and I'm constantly drinking a caffeinated beverage throughout the afternoon. I do think this affects me more than I realize.

I never eat when I'm not hungry, I realize I need to change that. I'm going to keep track of when I eat and make sure that I force myself to eat at least something every few hours.

The smoking thing I'll just have to give the good 'ole college try.

Thanks for the melatonin suggestion. It is over-the-counter, or at least it used to be. I tried it in college. I only did it for a few days and ended up forgetting about it. I'll swing to a drug store and give it a try.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:06 AM

Sounds like sleep apnea (spelling)?? I have it, but don't do what the doctors want me to do. Thankfully I have an understanding boss, so when I'm snoring away at work, he doesn't say anything. The doc threatend to jerk my drivers license if I didnt do something about it. Exercise, like walking, will help, changing your diet will help also. I'm a smoker too, so I know my sinuses are messed up, so your prbably not breathing very well while sleeping.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:07 AM

I have this problem too, although not quite as severe. I rely on caffeine more than anything, which isn't a good thing. But you have two pots of coffee in the morning and you'll be good, trust me. The best advice I can give is that you should get exercise. Just run for like 10-15 min a day and after a couple weeks it will make all the difference in the world. You don't have to kill yourself, just do something. People drastically underestimate the long term impact even a little exercise can have.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:59 PM

There's a lot wrong with what you are doing and you know that and what they are.
I'd offer that you must set up your own rhythm in that you should eat and sleep on a regular rhythm which is your choice and not subject to instinct or influences without your control. If one eats at regular times(7,1,7,etc.) this has a strenghtening effect upon a person as the decision is his made in freedom. Contra this is the eating when "hungry" or sleeping when "sleepy" is which case one is living in instinctual or animal behavior and this will be debilitating.

Obviously the excess caffeine and cigarettes can increase your clarity or sense of "I" but the rebound will cause the stupor which you experience during the day--chronic fatigue. Cutting down on both will help but wprking on your rhythms is most important(by your post--eating especially)--it will be hard but that is exactly what you need--discipline is dreadfully lacking and strength will come with work.

regards,
carlo
Old 05-10-2005, 04:06 PM

I won't debate that. I lack self-discipline in a lot of areas. Poker being about the only exception. It's not a comforting feeling, but at least I'm addressing it and not denying it. I forced myself to eat a small breakfast today on my first break and I also had a reasonable lunch instead of drive-thru yet again. I'll keep this up for a month or two (God willing)...and see where it ends up.

Thanks for the post(s).