Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When shopping for a table, I would most like to see....
Rocks to bully. 1 2.27%
Fish, fish, fish! 37 84.09%
Maniacs to build my pots. 5 11.36%
T/As to test my skills. 0 0%
Big bankrolls to punish. 0 0%
Small bankrolls to bust. 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Poll: Format for Micros HU Tourney

[ QUOTE ]
Scheduling: It looks like there are two votes for having a 48 hour period in which a match must be played, and no other input whatsoever. Any other ideas? Anyone else think this is OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think 72 hours is better. I know there's a couple nights a week I can't play, and most guys are porbably similar. it's not like anyone will be in a hurry to get this tourney over with, so I think if it takes 1 extra week to finish, that's cool with me.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:15 PM

The Swiss Draw thing sounds complicated and time consuming. How long will it take to play all those matches? And how much time and effort will the organisers/administrators have to put in? You seem to be one of the ones volunteering to put this together, so that second question should be important to you.

OTH, a double elimination format seems simple and straightforward, everybody will get to play in at least two matches, and we can get through the whole tournament in a couple of weeks.

I'd also like to propose a tournament fee, so that whoever does the work of organising and administering this thing gets something for their trouble. So the buy-in would be something like $10 + $1 + freezeout.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:31 PM

At this point, I'm mostly just talk and the poll guy. I'll happily volunteer to do some further organizing, but I wouldn't want to step on Bottomset's toes if he wants to run things. I think Nfinity also had expressed interest in running a Swiss draw system.

From an organizational standpoint, I actually think running a Swiss draw may be a shade easier than a double elimination. For Swiss, you only have to worry about random pairings rather than designing a losers bracket of some sort. Single elim is easier still with only one bracket to worry about, but I don't think that's a good idea so we can get more matches for more people.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:35 PM

swiss draw could be cool with the top X advancing to a playoff, with tiebreaker for records being hands played - the fewer, the better - the quicker you've eliminated your opponent.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:36 PM

with double elimination you can set out the bracket and just fill in as you go - it is so simple.

you could combine a double-elimination with a pool format, and it'd still be extremely simple to do. everyone would know what the hell was going on, it'd all be set out before the tourney, and everyone would get at least 3 matches. like i mentioned before, i'd be willing to spend an hour and do this.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:48 PM

Huh. That's an interesting tiebreaker that I hadn't considered. I had figured the primary tiebreaker would be the record of your opponents. Do you think that would be a good secondary tiebreaker, or a primary one?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:57 PM

I agree, Swiss Draw would be cool, if simply because we all get to play more matches, which is part of the point of this. But like I asked - how long is that going to take? If it's still going on after six weeks, are people (especially the admins, on whom the whole thing depends) going to be saying, 'Geez, does this thing never end?'

For the first time out, I think something simple and quick might work better for everyone. If it's a success and we want to do another one, we can consider getting more elaborate then.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:04 PM

I don't personally think having some SS posters in the tourney, though they should be spending time posting here, during and leading upto the tourney out of courtesy

I also originally didn't have prize as a focal point of this
a. because I didn't think it'd be this popular
b. i figured most of the ppl would have less than a couple hundred hands of dedicated HU experience .. i thought it'd be good to keep it cost-effective for those type of players

as for admin fees for setting this up, I don't want anything period(save what i may earn playing), I want to do this, and the time put in is well worth it if this goes through
Old 05-09-2005, 05:07 PM

With a three day period for matches, 6 rounds is just over two weeks and a half weeks, just under two weeks that if we have a two day period. That makes it "over" for all but the top 8 who make the playoff round. I bet the top X could go pretty quickly (maybe more than one round in one day, even), too, since it's easier to coordinate fewer people.

I'll have to double check how many rounds of Swiss you need to accomodate N players, but I don't think there's any way we'll need more than 7 or 8 rounds, even if we don't limit the tourney to 64.

Edit: I also don't think that a double elimiation tourney would offer much in the way of savings in terms of number of rounds. Maybe one less?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:10 PM

64 is 6rounds, 65-128 is 7rds if using Swiss

the first few rounds will take longer, I think the latter ones will go smoother and faster