Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 03:27 PM

Default I hate calling, but...

...who calls this?

- No particular read on the pusher
- this is a 33
- Blinds just went up

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

UTG (t2039)
MP (t1570)
Button (t551)
Hero (t820)
BB (t3020)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Folded to button, who raises all-in. Fold or push?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: I hate calling, but...

In the hopes that you'll read this before your timer winds down...

DON'T CALL! FOLD! DON'T CALL!

Is it too late? Did you call?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:33 PM

I think pushing is completely acceptable here. You have little folding equity and you are 5 handed, you are going to have to push in the next 2 hands anyway. Button is just as desperate and could easily be pushing with any face card.

Sometimes you just have to take a stand. I would push but I wouldn't be psyched about it.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...who calls this?

- No particular read on the pusher
- this is a 33
- Blinds just went up

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter

UTG (t2039)
MP (t1570)
Button (t551)
Hero (t820)
BB (t3020)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Folded to button, who raises all-in. Fold or push?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but the information I most want in order to answer this question is what I can expect from UTG and MP (not on this hand obviously). If they will gladly fold their blinds to me, then I am going to fold. If they are loosish and will probably call me (the small stack), then I am going to take my chance and try to get big here. You have managed to preserve yourself some FE, why throw it away when you will be on the button and CO the next two hands, unless you think the blinds will want to call you?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:40 PM

I'm on a mission to keep people from calling all-ins with KQ. Mainly because no matter what I have in my hand lately KQ seems to bust me [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img].

But to be honest as far as this hand goes I think a push is fine. Button could be on very wide range of cards and at worst he picked up AK at the ideal time but more likely A-x, pocket pair or complete steal attempt. You are running out of bullets and it probably time to gamble.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:45 PM

Along with that question should be how the smallstack got so small. Has he been pushing or has he been blinded to death because he's a tight ass.

If he's been aggressive and recently got busted on push or call then i'm more likely to push. If he's been tight waiting and waiting on his hand then i fold.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Along with that question should be how the smallstack got so small. Has he been pushing or has he been blinded to death because he's a tight ass.

If he's been aggressive and recently got busted on push or call then i'm more likely to push. If he's been tight waiting and waiting on his hand then i fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, the answer to those questions are "I don't know." I'd been multi-tabling and hadn't really kept up with that.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button could be on very wide range of cards and at worst he picked up AK at the ideal time but more likely A-x, pocket pair or complete steal attempt. You are running out of bullets and it probably time to gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. Button's range to me is a PP or an ace. You are calling (call it a push if you want) and behind 90% of the time. Even when you are ahead you are unlikely very far ahead. You have time to pick a better spot.

If Button were coming from UTG I would expand his range. But I think he knows he has 3 deals left to make a move. On the first one, he pushes any ace or PP. On the second, its any two broadways. On the third, its queen high or better. I don't think he is pushing trash into the big stacks BB. He expects a showdown.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:59 PM

Push.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Button could be on very wide range of cards and at worst he picked up AK at the ideal time but more likely A-x, pocket pair or complete steal attempt. You are running out of bullets and it probably time to gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. Button's range to me is a PP or an ace. You are calling (call it a push if you want) and behind 90% of the time. Even when you are ahead you are unlikely very far ahead. You have time to pick a better spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think button is really that tight with less than 3BB? I think that position is critical for him here (of course, no telling if he knows that). If I were him, I'd much rather push QT here than AT UTG.