Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 11:32 AM

Default Easy fold... right??

Real early in a tournament. Doubled up on a moron who kept pushing all in preflop and showing nothing. Called with AJs and flushed out on the turn. The villain has played one pot without a showdown, so got no clue about him.

This question really stems from the Accumulator vs. Survivalist debate. Normally, this would be a simple fold for me. However, after reading so many of the threads debating the two theories, I'm wondering if I should have called here...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

MP3 (t620)
Hero (t2240)
Button (t1205)
SB (t985)
BB (t970)
UTG (t745)
UTG+1 (t955)
UTG+2 (t1110)
MP1 (t975)
MP2 (t925)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t60, MP2 calls t60.

Flop: (t247.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets t200</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls t200.

Turn: (t647.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 calls all-in </font>, Hero folds.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Easy fold... right??

Easy fold. Looks like he's trying to knock you off a flush draw you don't have. The worst I give him here is J-10. While othere possibilities like QJ or AJ have you reverse dominated and 22 and 33 have you drawing dead.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:54 AM

it was a fold on the flop and now it's definitely a fold on the turn. how'd a half a chip get in the pot?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it was a fold on the flop and now it's definitely a fold on the turn. how'd a half a chip get in the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

schwza... the 200 chip flop bet felt like a flush draw to me, which is why I called. I felt I was still ahead. As for the half chip... that's the formatter. It completely missed the all in bet on the turn, and I put that in myself [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Finally, I still think I'm ahead on the turn and he's pushing his flush draw... but I didn't think I could call that allin here.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 PM

with 2 preflop callers,there's a reasonable chance one of them flopped top pair,of course trips and a flush draw,or medium pair is possible here too.
i really think you're move is on the flop,either just let it go or raise him to around 500-600,and represent your original raise was with aa,that would basically put his whole stack at jeopardy,and he'd have a tough decision on his hands. i'm not fond of a flat call there,leaves your only option of hitting your 6 (semi) outs,and convinces the villian that you don't have an overpair. a raise postflop in position also most often gets you a check on the turn,so you get to see the river card if he calls.
the best play is probably to let it go and give your opponent credit,but that's just no fun,i love making guys make decisions for there whole stack early on,especially since you have him covered,so many are trying to make the nuts in the first hr,and will only call a big bet if they do.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:30 PM

I agree with you completely, captainzodiac. Definite mistake on my part to just flat call. Once I called the flop bet, I showed weakness and the turn push, with anything, was the best play available to villain.

Unfortunately, my thinking at the time was flawed and I expected him to check the turn to me, at which time I expected to push.