Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 01:32 AM

Default New Player. Need advice.

hello all,

Im fairly new to the game, picked it up around christmas of last year. Im sorry if I am rehashing an old topic for you guy and would appreciate any and all help I can receive from you people.

Here is my dillema, I want to become a better player yet find myself struggling to work out when to play and when not to play and when to lay down a hand. I would like to subscribe to a new system of play as I have been playing a tight game and only playing what I consider "good" hands. (face an 10+, suited connectors etc) If someone could direct me towards a thread that explains the percentages of me actually hitting cards and how to determine what my chances are of actually winning.

Right now I basically stick to 10+1 and 5 + .50 sit and go's and can place in the top 3 regularly without really playing any type of system or game. If you guys/ gals could refer me to a good begginers book for this type of play that would be great. Ill be sitcking around here and hopefully be able to help sooner or later. Thanks in advance
`Rich
Old 05-09-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: New Player. Need advice.

Yikes...Couple of problems first of all...

1) Suited connectors aren't really a good hand unless the pot is laying you the right odds. As I don't know the correct odds, I can't explain them to you here, but I know just about any strategy book tells you them.

2) Playing tight is fine, however, if you are in EP (early position), AT and even AJ aren't really looking too good facing a raise and/or re-raise.

3) If you enjoy playing a tight game and are only really focusing on SnG's, then read Cloutier's tournament poker book. That helped me wonders when I first started playing, so that should help you immensely. Super System has a great appendix in the back of the book, so that should help you out with all the percentages you need, and it's pretty much a staple in all poker players' book collections.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:59 AM

There are plenty of posts on which books should be read in the Books/Publications fourm.
Since you play tournaments normally, I would suggest Harrington on Hold'em. That seems to be the best book for tournament play out there, and the second part should be out soon.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:41 AM

holla on the 1-table Tournaments forum. we'll coach you
Old 05-09-2005, 04:12 AM

Default If I may...

Tighten up a little in late position and a lot in Early position.

Across the board... players play too loosely and playing tight preflop will get you halfway there.

Always ask yourself, "What hands will my opponents play that I will make money if I beat?"

You HAVE to play tight.

Read Sklansky books and Super System 2.

You can't be a winning player without studying.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the quick replys guys. I've got quite a bit of useful information out of thos forum thus far. Looking forward to being able to actually CONTRIBUTE something sooner or later.

~Rich