Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 09:20 PM

Default Should \"You\" Move Up In Levels? [Hand Quiz]

This is 15/30 live, but probably somewhere around 5/10-10/20 online. We are 10 handed. This happened at Canterbury against a 2+2 lurker. I think it's a good hand that shows a lot of typical action at levels above 3/6. Perhaps this will give you some insight on if you are wondering if you should move beyond 3/6.

You can also try to read some of the hands.

UTG+1 considers UTG to be more on tight side/weaker.

Remember, you are pretending you are UTG.

2+2 Lurker is UTG
I am UTG+1
Button is loose/semi passive.
BB is loose/moron.

UTG has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG raises, UTG+1 cold calls, folded to button who calls 2 cold, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets, UTG raises, UTG+1 3 bets, Button calls 3 cold, BB calls, UTG calls.

Was this best play?

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, Button bets, BB calls, UTG ?

What is our play here if we were UTG?

What do we put UTG+1 on?

Are we ahead or behind to all other players?

Don't just state what you would do, but why.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Should \"You\" Move Up In Levels? [Hand Quiz]

[ QUOTE ]
This is 15/30 live, but probably somewhere around 5/10-10/20 online. We are 10 handed. This happened at Canterbury against a 2+2 lurker. I think it's a good hand that shows a lot of typical action at levels above 3/6. Perhaps this will give you some insight on if you are wondering if you should move beyond 3/6.

UTG+1 considers UTG to be tigher/weaker.

2+2 Lurker is UTG
I am UTG+1
BB is loose/moron.

UTG has A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG raises, UTG+1 cold calls, folded to button who calls 2 cold, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Was this best play?

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

What do we put UTG+1 on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post. I have been trying to muster up the stones to sit in the 15 game at CCC.
It sure smells like someone is on a draw or holding something like AT or JT. With that safe turn, I think I am leading this turn. Since he didn't I am check/raising the turn as at this point I think MHIG.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been trying to muster up the stones to sit in the 15 game at CCC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent game. I have only played it once and then the 30/60 once in same night.

The 30/60 is where you need balls and a huge bankroll. When they decide to straddle for over 3 hours it can get nuts.

The 15/30 my 2 different tables, 3-4 loose/morons, 1-2 passive, 1-2 tight. The rest blahs.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:53 PM

(EDIT: crap I was thinking of UTG+1s point of view in the hand. So ignore question 4, it is from UTG+1s POV...I will follow up later, Im in a hurry)

So this is a shorter answer than I want to give, Im heading out the door with the GF. So this is what I think in the 30 secs I read this:

1. With AA I might call, tempted to raise...but I think being against a set is likely.

2.u have either AJs or KQs (I think u might re-raise these two, but being EP, I dont think I do), KJs, KTs of clubs
3.At the moment behind. Button Im going with a set, J9 seems unlikely, 96 as well. And UTG does have AA, and I think u know he has AA-QQ.
4.If under the gun raises, I probably call. Definitly call if he doesnt.

If u want more explanation let me know. Got to run, I could be wrong, but I will take more time with the hand once I get back. Later.

Nice post, by the way.

2ND edit: QJs is possible UTG+1 hand as well depending how loose the game is
Old 05-08-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

UTG+1 considers UTG to be more on tight side/weaker.

2+2 Lurker is UTG
I am UTG+1
BB is loose/moron.

Was this best play?

What do we put UTG+1 on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would`ve led out on the turn, as well. But we checked, so I`m C/R.

UTG+1 may have A9c or AQc, although the queen is more likely since he cc`d PF.

If a non club, non fill card falls on the river, I`d bet out and fold to any raise.

Button has me a little concerned ccing 3 on the flop but being semi passive is most likely on the draw, but could`ve flopped a straight (or a set) and not capped it for fear of scaring players away. Hard to believe he cc`d 3 PF w/J9, though.

The flop raise was correct IMO. Make all the drawing hands (except BB) pay 2 to continue (5.25:1 I believe).
Old 05-08-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps this will give you some insight on if you are wondering if you should move beyond 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am already well past 3/6 and this hand confuses me.

Your play(UTG+1) doesn't make sense if you have a strong hand like a set. What hand can you have that cold calls pre flop, 3-bets the flop and then checks the turn? It looks like a flush draw, perhaps with a pair/overcards. AcQc, AcJc, KcQc and other suited high cards depending on how tight you are with your cold calls. 99 is a possibility. The turn check screams draw and the flop 3-bet looks like an attempt to buy the button and take a free card against a weakish UTG player.

Button can have a wide range of hands here. "Semi-passive players" often aren't smart enough to recognize the value of their hand and make inappropriate bets. He may be slowplaying the nuts or he may have a pair of sevens.

BB's hand = any pair or draw.

I would check-raise the turn. The player who is most likely to have us beat is button. Our equity is strong enough to risk being 3-bet by button when he has the best hand. Unless I am misinterpreting the read on button, I think all of the other players have a wide hand range.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:21 PM

I have to put UTG+1 on A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He is pumping up the pot on the flop and checks the turn. I think he would have 3-bet TT,88,77 preflop and also AK (thats why I say AQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] rather than AK. AJ should have folded PF)

Button being loose/passive. Does that mean he would call two cold PF with J9s or does he have KK-77. does passive mean he would not 3-bet KK-TT PF. As you can see I have trouble putting button on a hand. The range I assign him leaves me in unknown way ahead/behind territory so I call down.

I guess my 15/30 days are still a ways off in the future.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:22 PM

I'm sure this isn't right, but I'll give it a shot...

UTG+1 raises us on the flop, knowing that since we probably had a better hand than him before the flop(since he perceives us as 'rock'ish) I have to assume that he has flopped a set...there is no way he'd cold call our pre-flop raise with AT-JT-J9 or any other marginal hand, though possible with something like TT or 88, the T's being more likely. He certainly wouldn't be three-betting a drawing hand on the flop here would he?

The turn card is a brick and the loose/passive button is betting into a 3-bet flop when a 3d hits??? How could this flop have helped him... I'd have to call down to the river unless raised, even though I have a feeling I'm the third best hand here. Button COULD have J9 or hit his set on the turn...only way I can see him betting out here...if UTG+1 raises on the turn I'd have to throw it away, but I'd probably kick myself in the ass later.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:34 PM

I would have said on the flop that the most likely hand for UTG+1 was a set with 1010 [if you didnt want to 3bet, 88 or maybe even 77. When he checks through the turn I think that means there is a very good chance he has 99 for the OESD and perhaps one is a club. Another posibility is AcJc for the gutshot and nutflush. I believe that BB has sort of hand with a 10 in it and thats why he bet out and now will just call down against heavy action. How loose is button because that is a crazy thing to call 3 cold, so from that I can only guess he has a strong draw like to nut flush and also maybe hit a 7 or 8 and thats why he bet the turn. I think UTG has a strong enough possibility of being, but not way ahead because of the likely big draws so he could c/r now with quite possibly the best hand after UTG+1 checks or he could call and bet out on a favorable river card. If UTG+q 3 bets the check raise it would be a fold [possible call if the pot is that bit but Im not sure because I cant count]. If the river is raised on non scare I call, check/call one on possible scare board like another 8 and check/fold a really scary card. Howd I do? I should never move up should I?
Old 05-08-2005, 10:40 PM

I'll take a stab, since UTG + 1 is forcing the field to call 2
cold to continue he doesn't have a draw but a weak made hand
that needs protecting, I'm thinkng ATs not clubs. Button
calling 2 cold makes me put him on the flush draw right away,
although I wouldn't be shocked to see him flip over J9s.