Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2005, 09:25 PM

Default to chat or not to chat?

This is a general question about the use of the chat box feature on internet play. Should the chat box be used at all? If a player makes a boneheaded play such as cold calling a 3 bet with 76o preflop, and than proceeds to rake a huge pot making his gutshot on the river. Should you make use of the chat feature to scold the player, or simply say nothing at all. Would it be better to praise poor play to induce likeminded behavior in later hands.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Re: to chat or not to chat?

i talk alot and don't know if it helps me or not. I do think however that people who talk are a little worse than people who don't talk. I think this because they are not focusing on the game but other things.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should you make use of the chat feature to scold the player, or simply say nothing at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about this real hard.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:31 PM

Yes, chatting can be very fun and entertaining.

Obv: no, don't scold.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:52 PM

OK, I agree scolding is bad. It is hard to hold back though when you see some of the bad plays on line.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:58 PM

if i'm not scolding, i'm not playing.

I play more to berate people, then for money
Old 05-08-2005, 10:15 PM

No it isn't. It is VERY easy to hold back, Whenever you see a suck out be the first to type "nh" and make the fish feel confident in his game.

Anyone who insults the fish deserves to be beaten with a stick.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:44 PM

I like playing a confrontational game with bad players and chat can be a big part of this. Obviously truely terrible players should be encoraged and congradulated on their bad play. They don't care so don't make them feel bad. However the real targets are the 'table coaches'. For one thing I dislike anyone who acts like a jerk to boost their own ego or somehow prove their own knowlage. More importantly these player usually fall with in the bad enough to be massively profitable, but proud enough to rise to threats to their expertise.

As an example playing NL $100 6-max I was targeted by a stereotypical table coach. I had done something outragious like open raised A4 in the CO and then busted his slowplayed AK when I hit two pair. Either way this led to full on abuse complete with the mandatory questioning of my sexuality, imitiations of my 'play any Ace' mentality and the quoting of numberous statistics (most of which were wrong). Any rather than use my standard line which is to block his chat I decided that I'd give him exactly what he expected. I played the role of the uber-fish explaining how A4 was a great hand and anyway itwasn't like it was that far behind AK since they were both A high. He was not a happy bunny.

While this is going I keep raising and take both his blinds. He sits quietly folding and fuming. Anyway I get A10 and ramp it up my standard amount, in the chat window I type 'A4 again I have to raise' inevitably the guy calls and we end up heads up. The flop comes 554. 'Wow see I told you 4s always come up' once again I bet the pot and get a flat call.

Turn: A

Ok now I've got lucky, 'and an Ace as well' I say 'well I have to raise' and I pot it agian. He reraises me all in. Now here is where playing this way can get difficult. I've got the guy on edge, I've got him tilted and playing back, he could have anything, but then he could also have a 5 or a higher Ace. Usually I'd fold, NL$100 tends to be passive and getting raised is very scarey with such a venerable hand. However I played for this reaction so I figure my top pair is good. I call, he flips over.....KQ - drawing dead.

I nearly fall over laughing and he leaves the table.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is hard to hold back though when you see some of the bad plays on line.

[/ QUOTE ]

no it isn't.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I agree scolding is bad. It is hard to hold back though when you see some of the bad plays on line.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are you trying to accomplish by scolding bad players? Are you trying to help them play better? You want them to play badly. This should be really obvious.