Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 02:51 AM

Default Can you lay this down?

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and wanted to get some advice on this hand and i'm sure more in the future. After a candid look at my last 1500 hands after getting poker tracker i realize i am a losing solid over aggro 10/20 player. Humbling since i have always shown a profit till the last two months. Got lucky early or just got over aggro lately, regardless i'm down for the year now. Thinking of dropping a level if i don't turn my play around. Anyway, on to the hand. Could i have folded? Did i over play this hand? Any advice?

Me: 18%/7%/(3)/1446 AF 3.76
Him:40%/10%/(10)/58

Ultimate Bet 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Old 05-07-2005, 03:30 AM

Default Re: Can you lay this down?

You need to cap pre-flop. And cap the flop. And no, I can't lay this down.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:48 AM

Me: 18%/7%/(3)/1446 AF 3.76
Him:40%/10%/(10)/58

can someone explain this to me and the method for it. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-07-2005, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to cap pre-flop. And cap the flop. And no, I can't lay this down.

[/ QUOTE ]

not really, key point: mp2 call raises 4 players.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:28 PM

Its from Poker Tracker..,

Why would you cap preflop with QQ when someone limp raises? The limp raise is definetly the giveaway here. I wish i had noticed that when i was actually playing it. But i guess since the player was a maniac he could have been on a pair lower then mine just as easy and the call down was appropriate. The question is could i have folded if it was a more respectable player..
Old 05-08-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why would you cap preflop with QQ when someone limp raises? ........ But i guess since the player was a maniac......

[/ QUOTE ]

You just answered your own question.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:07 PM

I think you should have capped pre-flop to get equity from the BB. The limp re-raise certainly represents a huge hand, but some players will do this with JT suited and crap like that as well.

The flop is fine, after BB folds you're now betting on having started with a better hand than the limp re-raiser, and I'd wait till the turn to announce you have an overpair.

Raise the turn and call down if he 3 bets. Bet any non-ace non-club river if he just calls.

There is no way you can fold this. If he has AA or KK, good for him. If he spiked an ace w/ AKs or some junky ace that he got out of line w/ preflop, good for him. Know that you got the most you could while you were in front, and paid the least when you were behind.

On a more important note, 1500 hands is like 1.5 days worth of online play, if you're multitabling. Don't read too much into your results of that small of a sample. The worst thing you can do is start playing passive and weak, especially in the UB 10/20 (that game is normally pretty tough). If the stakes combined with your poor results are making you uncomfortable, you should move to a limit that allows you to play aggressively without fear of loss. If you can't do that, you can't win. Period.

lf

oh, and BTW, welcome to the forum.