Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 06:48 PM

Default 1/2 NL hand $180ish stacks

Hey guys- this is a hand from last night's live game. 1/2 NL, hero has $180ish and villain $150ish. I think I messed it up. Hero raises to $10 with AsQc and villian (semiloose, aggressive, and a little tricky) calls.

Hero AsQc raise to $10 villian calls

Flop Qxx all spades. Hero $15 villian calls

Turn blank. Hero $20 villain calls

River 10s Hero?

I know that this is a pretty basic,lackluster hand and not too exciting but I always have a problem with getting extra money out of my opponent on the river. Do I try to sell it and if so for how much? Or check and hope he makes a stab at it. I have shown down two monsters already in 45minutes of play so he should have "T/agg, no-bullshit-thrower" read on me. How do I squeeze this turnip
Old 05-07-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Re: 1/2 NL hand $180ish stacks

If i read it right, the pot is $50 on the turn so you need to bet more than the $20 to help build the pot more and get your opponent committed...There's still river cards that might produce a loss if it's x and he has Qx so there's also no problem taking down the pot on the turn if that's the way it's going to be..Given that the pot on the river is $90 he probably will call anything $25-$40 with a Js+
Old 05-07-2005, 08:30 PM

I would have bet harder on the turn. I think your turn bet is too weak. I like betting closer to the pot (~$50) on the turn rather than your weak bet of $20.

If villain comes over the top on the turn after a pot-sized bet, I can most likely safely fold, if he simply calls then I am thinking that I am probably beat ... I may fire out a blocker on a non- [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] river card (but I dont think that villain would have enough left in his stack to make that an effective play)

Only betting $20 on the turn doesnt give you any info as to how strong villain's hand is. A pot-sized bet on the turn will also make it easier to get villain's stack in the pot when you spike that [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the river.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:25 PM

Yeah, I knew that $20 was not enough on the turn but it was more of a blocking bet because I felt I was probably beat or he was on the same spade draw as I was (or already had it). I didn't really want to build a huge pot here but just show down a decent or improved hand on the river. I knew if he did have me beat and I made the correct bet on the turn he would probably push and I would have to fold my TPTK Top draw. I ended up checking to him with the last spade and disappointingly he checked behind. I think that this was a mistake after the weak turn bet and me making my hand. He had KcKs for the second nut flush and had me beat going to the river. Stupid slowplay on his part I guess. I think I should have lead for another $25 on the river as I believe I might have been able to sell it for that or he could come over the top should he get frisky. I don't think he could have layed down in that situation. Lesson learned.