Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 04:26 PM

Default Re: The worst played set ever?

Nice hand.

You should be thankful she sucks. A good 2+2 player would have cost you at least 2 more BB.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I definately wouldn't have raised the BB with AQ. that's a pretty weak play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's a pretty standard (and correct) play against this lineup.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's a pretty standard (and correct) play against this lineup.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-07-2005, 05:02 PM

It's good with they play real gooooooooooooood eh?

That being said I would have raised the flop.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:39 PM

Everybody seems to be talking about YOUR play, when your question was about HER play.

Preflop: small pocket pair has no reason to raise and every reason to limp. When raised behind, she's right to call. Good one, granny.

Flop: last to act with a set when everybody checks to you --- yep, that's bettin' time. Score another one for the blue-hair.

Turn: last to act with a set when everybody checks to you -- still bettin' time. However, now there's a check-raise that puts you heads-up. Two possibilities: the check-raiser hit the ace (very likely) or the check-raiser is bluffing. If you call, either an ace or a bluff will likely continue with a river bet. If you raise, a bluffer will fold here. Why snap off one bet when you can snap off two? Also, this board really sucks: full rainbow, no reasonable straight draws. You're not realistically afraid of set-over-set, so the only "scare" card is one that pairs the board. Ideally, that gives your opponent trips at the same time it gives you a boat. This seems like the perfect time to smooth-call, going for the extra bet(s) on the river. The ol' biddy got it right a third time.

River: from the perspective of a set, this river card is a perfect blank. It completes no flushes, no straights, and no likely sets. If Our Lady of the Greatest Generation is behind on this hand, then YOU played like a doofus. Since she trusts that you're good at this game, she knows you're screwed. You bet it and she...calls? Oh, no, say it ain't so! They should tear up your Frequent Diner's Card at Luby's for that bonehead play. Did you remind her of her grandson or something? Because she just gave you a free pass. This was absolutely, positively, undeniably the time to stomp on your neck. Still, the Retirement Set has a tendency to "play nice," so it's sort of in keeping with their style. It is NOT, however, profit maximizing by any stretch of the imagination.

In short, LOL got every street right except the river, but I'd guess that she got several of them right on accident.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly. NOT raising AQ from the BB against a table of stiffs is the weak play.

Check-raising the flop is a viable option, but with no backdoor straight or flush draws, I thought it better to call in this situation, and re-evaluate on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

you definately have good equity in this hand, but I don't even like raising in the bb with AK because no one is going to fold, especially at this limit. I think you could play it either way, but I like to go ahead and see the flop with so many limpers.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I don't even like raising in the bb with AK . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Big mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
. . . because no one is going to fold, especially at this limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they are not going to fold when you are raising out of the BB. Who cares?

[ QUOTE ]
you definately have good equity in this hand

[/ QUOTE ]

You have your answer, and it is even more true for AK. Start raising those hands out of the BB and they will start becoming more profitable for you.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:41 PM

I think you should bet this flop, unless you were planning on checkraising LOL, but I like a bet better. The way you played it, its worth checkraising LOL if you are planning on calling anyway because you could easily be ahead of her and its important to knock out hands with 3-6 outs against you. Or even hands, like bottom pair, that are currently ahead of you.