Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Fold or pay off against unknown opponent?

Raise preflop with AJo.
You made this hand a lot harder to play with so many players seeing the flop so cheap.

I think you can fold the turn here, SB slowplayed a flush.
This is not a spot to bluff against a bet and raise.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think an A or a J would've been good.
Limping is fine with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top pair isn't likely to win against a large field, which is what you encourage when you limp. There could be all sorts of draws out there that you won't know about until you're beaten.

I don't agree that limping is fine. Infact I think limping here is a rather significant error.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:27 PM

I don't mind this limp - limping AJ in early position is certainly close in EV to raising it (depends on the game - tight = call, loose = raise).

you have to bet this flop - top pair good kicker - if raised, call and re-evaluate on the turn. if you bet the flop, UTG probably doesn't bet the turn

in this particular hand, the pot is 4.5 BB when action is on you - it's so tough since you didn't bet the flop. in your situation I'd probably fold my top pair in this puny pot (you have 5 people behind you who could be raising). raising is definitely the worst choice of the 3 in such a small pot and a whole bunch of people.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind this limp - limping AJ in early position is certainly close in EV to raising it (depends on the game - tight = call, loose = raise).

you have to bet this flop - top pair good kicker - if raised, call and re-evaluate on the turn. if you bet the flop, UTG probably doesn't bet the turn

in this particular hand, the pot is 4.5 BB when action is on you - it's so tough since you didn't bet the flop. in your situation I'd probably fold my top pair in this puny pot (you have 5 people behind you who could be raising). raising is definitely the worst choice of the 3 in such a small pot and a whole bunch of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

wha? so you'll raise an offsuit hand in a loose game where many people will call you with junk, but you'll call a tight hand, where if you had raised to thin the field, you have a stronger possibility of winning? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

if you're not going to play AJo from UTG, then you should just fold it. limping is a horrible suggestion IMHO.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're not going to play AJo from UTG, then you should just fold it. limping is a horrible suggestion IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word. It's a hand that -many times- IS the best hand PF, but is vulnerable if you limp and let in the whole field (that hold T9, Q9s, etc.) Blow those people out by raising. If it gets 3-bet, then you just tread carefully post-flop.

Rich
Old 05-07-2005, 03:43 PM

More AJo discussion

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=
Old 05-07-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think an A or a J would've been good.
Limping is fine with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top pair isn't likely to win against a large field, which is what you encourage when you limp. There could be all sorts of draws out there that you won't know about until you're beaten.

I don't agree that limping is fine. Infact I think limping here is a rather significant error.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh...
I personally side with Lee Jones on this one. Raising AJo from EP draws cold-callers who could have better hands that you also "won't know about until you're beaten". Of course you could make the argument that there are enough idiots who would call a single bet with any 2 cards. But if that's the kind of table you're at I wonder how many people you're really shutting out with a PFR?

A PFR isn't bad, but I think it's marginal either way. And for all of the kool-aid that people drink around here, it's ironic that not many seem to have understood Miller's "Big leak vs. Small leak" thread. Too many of these hand posts get too much PF discussion and not enough post-flop.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:16 PM

Get in the habit of instamucking in this type of situation. Meep made a post a long time ago where he was check/raised on the turn after he raised preflop and the flop checked through. Everyone told him to calldown after he hit top pair. I told him to instamuck since he was looking at a set and that is what he got shown. Anyone who has enough patience to check both the flop and turn and then raise (or 3-bet) has the hand he is representing. No other hand could risk getting checked through again (ie. a set).

Brad