Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Big pot - $.50/$1 Stud High

Thanks for responding Andy, I was curious to hear your thoughts.

Obviously these weren't the world's tightest players (4 or 5 people seeing 3rd was common), alhtough this was easily the most loosely played hand overall that we played. I see your argument about completing on 3rd with the two overs, but do you think that's a good play in a loose game like this? I'm not going to knock any of the limpers out, and even though they're overs, it's only a J and a T - it just seemed like it would help my overall equity more if I limped and encouraged others join the party.

I see your point that reraising third was probably excessive.

Point taken on raising 4th too, since it'll be hard to know how to proceed with anything but a T on 5th. (Part of the reason I raised was actually to see Seat 6's response (he and seat 2 were my only reasonably solid opponents). Had he reraised, I would've figured him for trips or two-pair, and I would've been looking for a place to bail out, but when he just called, I figured he only had either one big pair or maybe a three-flush.)

I'm not going to defend the 6th street, I agree it was a bad play, since even if tens up is the best hand on 6th, it's unlikely to hold up on seventh. But I do think there was a lot of evidence suggesting that tens up was good at the moment. If you look closely at the other players boards, not only are there no pairs showing, but there's tons of duplication. Seat 2 might have me beat, but if so I'm surprised he didn't raise when he caught the Q (I know him to be an aggressive player). The other two kings besides seat 6's are already all-in. And seat 1 and seat 3 both have mostly dead boards.

(I didn't check initially with the intention of raising; but when nobody raised (except the guy throwing his last few pennies in), that's when I decided my tens up might actually be good.)