Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: World Poker Tour on TV last night

I believe the stack sizes were not close. Hansen had about 4 to 5 times the amount of chips Deeb had.
Old 04-01-2003, 06:07 PM

That's not the point. What is important is the size of the pot and how much Gus had to call.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:19 AM

Kassem Deeb is "Freddie" Deeb.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:31 AM

The one thing the everybody is missing about Hansen's call with the QTo is that he's been watching Deeb play all day and probably has a pretty good read on him. Even those of us who watched the show can see that Deeb was slow-playing big pairs. My feeling is that Hansen puts him on an A high or a middle pair. If he's right, sure he's behind, but not by much, since both his cards are live unless Deeb holds AQ or AT. Hansen's got a lot more chips than Deeb at this point so the call isn't as bad as it looks. If he loses the hand, he's still in decent shape, and if he wins, he knocks Deeb out of the tournament.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:01 AM

The only really bad play I think was Juanda calling all-in at the end with A-J, he had already tested gus with a raise, at which point he went all-in w/o hesitation, did he really think he was up against 8-9 the only type of hand where he would be far ahead?
The other questionable hand was Deebs re-raise with 6-3, what the hell was that, if he were betting it all the way thats one thing, but that big a raise into a small pot with no chance of winning?????
Old 04-02-2003, 01:16 PM

I agree. Actually, on the hand Deeb won before the 63 bluff, did you see the classic big-hand tell when he turned the monster. He looks at his cards and quickly glances down at his chips. That's Caro 101. I'm surprised Hansen didn't fold right there, but he may not have been looking, and the camera gave us a great close-up.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:26 PM

hansen seemed to be making no effort to pick up on tells. he rarely looked at dweeb. he was playing pure pattern poker and had picked up on dweeb's obvious patterns. if he had been reading dweebs numerous facial tells he could have busted him earlier. juanda seemed to be the player most interested in tells and reactions, although his observations failed him in the end.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:43 PM

"The one thing the everybody is missing about Hansen's call with the QTo is that he's been watching Deeb play all day and probably has a pretty good read on him. Even those of us who watched the show can see that Deeb was slow-playing big pairs. "

Yes, that was the thing everyone was missing that I mentioned above. Gus probably knows that Deeb is a big slowplayer, so he may be ruling out AA, KK, etc when he gets raised all-in preflop. That changes things a lot.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:26 PM

Gus has put in the first raise. I believe he got around 1.8 to 1 for his call.
I don't think he should have called as if Deeb won, he would be back in it. But the odds he was getting and the possible hands deeb could have had..such as Ax, made it somewhat close.

Someone stated that Deeb had been slowplaying. We know Hansen didn't see the QQ, so we don't know what slowplays he saw.

It was interesting that the slowplays either got snapped (QQ vs 88), or the person never got paid off big (Hennigan flopped a set and trips, 88 on board), and didn't get paid off huge. Pretty well vs Nguyen, but not major vs Hansen when that A hit on the river.
I did like that small raise he did to Nguyen to entice Nguyen to stay in.
Would have been interesting to see what would have happened in both instances if an A didn't hit on the river. Hennigan may have won it all.

I also think Juanda was easily the best player of the final 3. And taking that into account, should have fold the AJ to the re-reraise as he would have only been down 2-1.

Looking forward to tonites show.

SD