Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Stolzmann-Giang KT v AJ WPT Hand

Chau only has 200K left here so it was "all over" for both. I agree with the rest of what you said, however. This is why physical tells are so difficult to utilize--you don't know what they mean. Always agreat topic for debate.

The fact is, he should have laid it down b/c of his skill edge. I mean the guy can play some serious poker!

To the poster that said Chau was steaming--agree 100%. When the kid check raised him on that one hand he looked like he was ready to give the kid a spanking [insert lewd comment here]. I love when Chau starts cursing--it's awesome!
Old 05-05-2005, 09:14 PM

I thought Chao played alrite, there were a couple of times when he overbet the bet the pot too much when he couldve extracted more-checkraise against mizrachi and i think stoltzman had a mid pair-queen and chao had top pair king he reraised stoltzman when he couldve extracted alot more
Old 05-05-2005, 11:22 PM

I didn't see the Grinder portion of the episode (although I am happy that that cocky douchebag lose), but I thought the overbet by Chau against Stolzmann was great. Amateur player thinks that an overbet is usually a bluff, Chau knows this so he goes one level up on the TOP psychology scale and overbets. However, seeing how he regarded his opponent he may not have been thinking this at all. He may have thought--"this guy has a piece and is stupid enough to call me." Who knows?
Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 PM

Not raising preflop with AJ was strange. I assume Chau was playing for a checkraise and also mixing up his play. A preflop raise is unlikely to make KT fold heads up.

As for the flat call of the pot sized bet when a jack hits, there was a queen on the board, so Chau didn't know he was ahead.

As for the call when an ace hit, it is hard to fold top two pair heads up.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought the overbet by Chau against Stolzmann was great. Amateur player thinks that an overbet is usually a bluff, Chau knows this so he goes one level up on the TOP psychology scale and overbets

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I thought.
With an over-bet he can get the kid to think, "this guy is trying to push me around. he knows i'm tight so he'll fold if I push back."

The over-bet was trying to induce a bluff re-raise imo on one of the hands.

I think there was another hand where he just didn't want to give the kid any cheap cards because the board was draw-heavy though....and this was another good spot to over-bet imo.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:59 PM

My whole point[if you can call it that], is that the pot is small, Chau'll have plenty of chips left he folds, and he has a huge experience and bankroll edge on the kid. And he appeared not to even notice John's jump when the A hit.

Kid ain't bluffing or going all in w/raggy two pair here, not w/that scary a board and over 2KK chips himself. A very tough fold, tho, which is why a 4k-8k player should be able to make it.

IIRC, McBride had playing for about a year before the '98 WSOP. Good interview w/him somewhere in CP's archives. He played the final table OK, he just got tired and Scotty rolled him. '98 WSOP noteable for many reason's: TJ's terrible blunder, first appearance by VVP, etc.

May be in Vegas soon, hope to see ya, Vince.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My whole point[if you can call it that], is that the pot is small, Chau'll have plenty of chips left he folds, and he has a huge experience and bankroll edge on the kid

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to argue that you are not correct. I play a lot of SNG's, not that they are simila,r but I do get heads up quite often. I do not see Chau at many final table NLH tournaments. I see him at Bellagio quite often but I very rarely see him play heads up No Limit. It just may be that he was the novice when it comes to Heads up NLH. I'm not claiming that I know how good he is I'm just pointing out that there is a good possiblity that he is not very exeperienced in this type of Poker. I find from my experiencewhen heads up I do not have a great edge over anyone. Although it really is difficult to tell. That said I think that Chau looked confused and unsure when JS raised all-in. In a situation like this the best play might be to err on the side of caution. I guess I agree with you...sort of.

Vince
Old 05-06-2005, 08:34 PM

I thought the call that Chau made on the river was similar in some respects to the one he made against Paul Wolfe in that tournament that was on the Game Show Network. Obviously, the hands were significantly different (Chau flopped a full house but eventually lost when Wolfe drew out quads on the river). He agonized over Wolfe's all-in bet, not willing to believe that he had the only card that would beat him on that hand. Of course, in this case, it wasn't at the final table, and the call knocked him out of the tournament. But the body language and the way he talked out the hand were very similar.

What does this all mean? Probably not a whole lot, but I was drawn by the comparison.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought Chao played alrite, there were a couple of times when he overbet the bet the pot too much when he couldve extracted more-checkraise against mizrachi king he reraised stoltzman when he couldve extracted alot more

[/ QUOTE ]

no freakin way The Grinder puts another chip in that pot on the river if he doesn't have Chau beat.

how can you say he should have smooth called the turn agains the grinder when the kid picked up top pair to go with his nut flush draw?

that is an EASY way to go broke slowplayin yourself to death.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:01 AM

I was really surprised to see Chau twitch and jump like he had been poked with a cattle prod on the hand before (I think). He lost all control of his body, and it seemed like he could barely get his hands to fold the cards after the reraise.

Considering the fact that he is considered one of the top money players in the world, it seemed very, very strange. The money doesn't mean that much to him, but when I saw that, I realized that he REALLY wanted that title.