Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Is High limit NL hold\'em only for the elite of the elite ?

Cool website, iceman. I liked the articles, excellent tactical advice.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do love that flock of syncophants. Feel free to kneel at the altar and join them if you like.
Old 05-06-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do love that flock of syncophants. Feel free to kneel at the altar and join them if you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a life!

And learn how to spell if youre going try to use big words. These are your 1st 2 posts. Did you register here just to mock me?

I repeat...get a life!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a life!

And learn how to spell if youre going try to use big words. These are your 1st 2 posts. Did you register here just to mock me?

I repeat...get a life!

[/ QUOTE ]

My, what an inflated sense of self importance we have . . . I'd like to reply, but your biting insults (circa the early 90s) leave me entirely defenseless. Maybe I'll just start my own website so I don't have to deal with anyone questioning me anymore . . .
Old 05-06-2005, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a life!

I repeat...get a life!

[/ QUOTE ]

My, what an inflated sense of self importance we have . . . I'd like to reply, but your biting insults (circa the early 90s) leave me entirely defenseless. Maybe I'll just start my own website so I don't have to deal with anyone questioning me anymore . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

How in gods name did this turn into an "iceman5" bashing party?
The guy asked a question. I gave him some helpful advice and some "Cambodian" guy comes out of the woodwork and his 1st 2 posts have nothing to due with the thread but he is bashing me for no apparent reason.

I tell him to at least spell his words correctly if hes going to use some big words trying to look smart and now you say Im being self important?

Are you guys drunk or something?

I have a website....so the [censored] what? Have i ever proclamied to be a poker guru? NO

Im a damned good played who makes a lot of money playing poker who was approached by a website designer who wanted to start a new forum because the one we were on at the time had turned to [censored] (it wasnt this one). THATS IT.

If you want to start your own site then do it.

What are you guys? 19 years old?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:49 PM

Man, I hope this forum doesn't turn to sh!t like some of the others on 2+2. More newbies recently just acting like the donkeys that they probably are at the tables.

Iceman generally makes worthwhile posts, and his website is worth checking out. If saying that makes me a SYCOPHANT, then so be it.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, I hope this forum doesn't turn to sh!t like some of the others on 2+2. More newbies recently just acting like the donkeys that they probably are at the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

This thread has seen both extremes. Your post comes just below the top level. Not too much content but I think it needed saying. 7/10, well done.

[ QUOTE ]
Iceman generally makes worthwhile posts, and his website is worth checking out. If saying that makes me a SYCOPHANT, then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll join the sycophant club too. He provided useful advice. And do you know why he's called Iceman? It's the way he plays - Ice cold. No mistakes. Wears you down. After enough time, you just get bored and frustrated, you do something stupid, and he's got you. He can be my wingman anytime.

Just to confirm, beating 200NL is just about a basic grasp of the fundementals and plenty of discipline. I don't even believe you have to make large bluffs, though picking the right moment makes you a better, more dangerous player. Make calculated plays at small pots. You'll pick up many uncontested and you'll give off advertising when you don't. That'll be enough to convince the idiots that you're always on the rob. I lost count of the number of times players tried to run me off the nuts at this level, mostly with nothing. It's only as you move up (much further, I think) that you'll have to start making the tougher decisions with your marginal hands (though you'll still find plenty of retards higher up too). But hey, that's what you're paid for (or not?).

And don't react to abuse; no-one cares and it just clogs up the forum.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Regarding 1/2 (i.e. 200)NL... I don't know how it is on other sites, but I will address that level on PokerRoom, specifically the 6max and shorter tables (my experience on the 10max tables is limited, though I believe the pattern is similar).

There is a definite break in skill-level between 1/2NL and 2/4NL on PR. The players get gradually better until the 1/2NL level, but they tend to play their hands for the most part. Much less bluffing, and LAG-types tend to make enough mistakes post-flop that you can beat them. The players who can beat these games handily almost always graduate to 2/4NL. So I guess my point is, on PR at least, 1/2NL is not high-stakes or elite. It is only on 2/4NL and beyond that you run into multi-level thinking and mixed strategies based on game-theory. It is much easier to run over a 1/2NL game than it is to run over a 2/4NL game. It is much easier to rattle players on 1/2NL than it is on 2/4NL.

If you can't beat the 100NL and 200NL tables, you definitely have alot of work to do before you can move to the real high-stakes games.

As a side note, I've always wondered if the creators of this forum understood this dichotomy between <1/2NL games and >2/4NL games... since you're only supposed to post regarding 2/4NL and higher on this forum (this is a rule that seems to be conveniently ignored).
Old 08-06-2005, 10:05 PM

Unfortunately there is no easy way to move up. The secret is practice and reading and more practice. It took me around 4 years from $.10-$.25 NL to make it to the 5-10NL and occasional 10-20 NL. Dont rush yourself, and dont play scared.
Also the more you play the more youll see where bluffs are appropriate, this MUST be part of your arsenal if you hope to move beyond 1-2 NL
Also, the more you play, the better your gut will be, dont ignore your gut

GL [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 10:12 PM

uh, why did this warrant a bump?
Closed Thread