Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Too aggressive with top pair?

Empire 100+10 10K - 70 players started, down to 50.

My opponent in this hand plays about two-thirds of his hands, raising only a few. He doubled up early in the tournament by rivering an 8-high flush against two opponents who bet and raised the flop before the action got to him.

I've played 3 hands against him, all three times I raised preflop and he called. Twice I won by betting 2/3 of the pot on the flop and once I fired on the turn also and he folded. He hasn't shown much, if any aggression thus far after the flop.

Blinds are 10/20 - I have about 1600 in chips, Villian has about 2220

Folded to me in MP3 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - I raise to 60, Villian calls, others fold.

Flop (T145): Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet 100, Villian raises to 225, I raise to 600, Villian calls.

Turn (T1345): K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero goes all-in for 900, Villian calls.

On the flop I figured this guy might just be getting tired of me taking pots from him, so he decided to make a raise with a medium PP, straight or flush draw, or even on a stone bluff.

The real question is, after he calls my 600 re-raise, should I be check-folding the turn if I don't improve? Should I be calling down if he makes it cheap enough? Or should I be pushing (particularly when a scare card like the K comes off)? Keep in mind that he has probably realized by now that I'm an aggressive player and is likely to act accordingly.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive with top pair?

hmmm,top pair with average to poor kicker,tough one.if i'm the villian here i make the post flop raise with a few hands,ak suited,aq,99 or 77,and those hands are all possible with a flat call preflop,although with ak suited or 99 i probably reraise a bit preflop to see where i'm at.
once he called your 600 reraise,you know he wasn't just trying to push you off your hand and he has something.
it's a little early in the tourney and the blinds are pretty low,so i wouldn't put him on a stone cold bluff,to me it looks more like he's drawing to a flush,raising to get a free card on the turn(which backfired when you reraised)but he still didn't want to let it go, or a monster like trips.
when the k comes off and is not a club,i like the push on your part,if he's on a flush draw,he most likely lets it go,unless it was ak,then he has to call.
personally,most of the time i would have just called his raise post flop,and seen what another card produced from there and checked it to him most of the time.
being aggressive is great,but you have to back off when you're beat,you said you won 3 pots from him when he called your raises,the odds were he was going to flop something eventually,so it may have been a good idea to let this one go as soon as he raised post flop.
also raising with qt offsuit and being out of position postflop is a pretty tough spot to play from.