Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 03:34 PM

Default PokerRoom: Graphics Failure

Am I the only one, who suffers from this?

Every few minutes I all in a sudden canīt see my cards on the table anymore (my cards, but also e.g. the flop sometimes, or even the button). Annoyingly Iīm forced to cancel the current game where Iīm in. I already reinstalled the software. Didnīt have this problem with Pokerrooms former software-versions.

PR support seems to be perplexed,- btw: I have Win XP HE).

zion
Old 05-06-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Re: PokerRoom: Graphics Failure

Since their last update, I have had several instances where the cards and player avatars have disappeared. The cards come back the next hand, but the player avatars are gone (or partially gone) for the rest of my session.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:40 PM

this happened to be recently as well. it was a little better once I turned avatars off, and played no more than 3 tables.

this may not be the answer you're looking for, but it'll help until someone comes up that knows more.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one, who suffers from this?

Every few minutes I all in a sudden canīt see my cards on the table anymore (my cards, but also e.g. the flop sometimes, or even the button). Annoyingly Iīm forced to cancel the current game where Iīm in. I already reinstalled the software. Didnīt have this problem with Pokerrooms former software-versions.

PR support seems to be perplexed,- btw: I have Win XP HE).

zion

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had this happen too.

But I have been playing mostly tournaments - so I just wait until I can fold a hand - and then close it and come back quickly.

But yes it's annoying.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:50 PM

I play on PR all the time and haven't seen this happen (though it used to happen when I used the JAVA version). Is it possibly a memory type issue with your computer (maybe the software is a drag on your system, I dunno).

Jeff
Old 05-06-2005, 04:37 PM

I always turn off avatars as soon as I can figure out how to, so I haven't seen any avatar-related problems; but I have had problems with individual cards disappearing (once when I wasn't in a hand the board decided not to show the turn, but it showed the river just fine) and bets not updating (pre-flop, I'll see the chips from the last hand and the total amount of the last hand where the pot for this hand should be, etc).

These problems seem to become much more common when I've got 3+ tables open, which leads me to believe that their graphics code doesn't handle failure cases well -- my "poker PC" isn't exactly a screamer (it's like 667 MHz w/512 MB of RAM, or something like that. Been a while since I cared), so it's likely the lack of processor power is a contributing factor.

I'll get the same problems (only moreso) when I'm using VirtualPC to one-table from a different computer.

I can't wait until every poker site realizes that there's a portion of their userbase that doesn't want crappy bells and whistles that are prone to glitching. Gimme a blank background with no card or chip animations and a simple, non-blinking non-pulsing turn indicator and I'd be ecstatic.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:20 PM

Same thing happened to me last night. I was using the downloaded version and had 4 tables open. I had to exit the table and then reopen it and it was then ok. Major pain in the ass though.

How do you turn off the avatars on Poker Room?
Old 05-06-2005, 08:44 PM

This has happened to me alot lately. Usually i just let it go and read what happens out of the chat box. After a while the avatars slowly begin to return.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:16 PM

The same thing happened to me last night. It looks to be a repeat of some error that was introduced three software updates ago. Multi-tabling started taking up huge amounts of CPU time and the graphics weren't being updated properly. At that time they also introduced a bug in the player notes/icons feature where any player with a non-alphanumeric character in his screen name could not be updated. I didn't notice that problem last night, but I definitely saw the grahpics issues and massive CPU usage.

On my dual 2.8GHz Xenon machine (which shows up as having four CPUs in task manager), Poker Room was consuming upwards of 30% of the CPU time, which translates into 100% of one 2.8GHz processor and part of a second. Under normal circumstances it seldom exceeds 10% even with four tables open.

I don't know that it's related, but I also noticed last night that I was able to open five tables simultaneously. In the past it has always prevented me from opening more than four.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:31 PM

I thought I was the only one...this happens to me every time I play more than two tables at PokerRoom, and gets worse as I go to four and is horrendous if I have tables on other servers open. It can get to a point where I timeout before I even see my cards.